Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

New to The Blazer world and need a mentor

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Beginning Member
Sirloin is on a distinguished road
Default Brian, Welcome to the forum.

You can find just about all of the information you might need, somewhere on this site ... just do all the searches you can, before posting. Most everything has been posted before. With that said ( & no offense intended ), I have had an S-10 pu with a 5 speed mt and the 2.8 v6 ... it had plenty of power for that little truck. I have also had a 2dr 4wd S-10 Blazer with the 2.8 v6, and it had just enough power to do it's job. My current daily driver is a 96 2dr 4wd Blazer with the 4.3, and it is a great little machine. Try to let your 2.8 breath a little better, maybe add a K&N filter and flip the air cleaner cover ( if it has one ) to allow more air to get to the filter. I did this and noticed a difference on my 91 tbi 4.3 and it was never starving for air after that. Photos of the 91 & 96 are in my photo gallery.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 PM
methinks01 is on a distinguished road
Default Laughing to keep from crying

When I said I was new to the Blazer world, I might have lied a little bit. What I should have said was I am new to the restoration world, the car world, the mechanic world just about anything other than purchasing a car on a lot and driving it for a couple years before trading in. That's pretty much my experience level. So, here I am in mid thirties going through a sort of rebirth and finding myself diving into this.

By the way the fantasy pictures have been posted here although I have no idea where they are.

My fuel pump went out today! I was returning from the parts store having purchased a new belt, fuel filter, floor mats and a manual by Haynes. Thought I was doing something. Thought I was the man. Died on me in the middle of the street coasting by a Mickey D's. So, there I was three blocks from work hungry for Sonic and no clue what to do. So I did what any self respecting man dude would do. Called a buddy. He showed up with a chain and a truck and towed me to his paint and body shop.

2 hours replacing a fuel pump in the blazing(no pun intended) sun on concrete with no clue as to what I was doing. I was so distraught over it all that I never even looked in the book till I got home. But then, there is something in that. I got home. Drove the Blazer too I might add and all by myself. I was feeling pretty proud, actually am feeling pretty proud.

Baptism by fire!!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Beginning Member
Sirloin is on a distinguished road

Good job on replacing the fuel pump. I think the fuel pump in my '96 is sounding and acting like it's going to throw in the towel, and I'll probably be replacing it very soon. I am carrying a rubber mallet with me, if you turn the key & there is no buzz sound from the fuel pump, you can give the gas tank a couple of good spanks with the mallet and that will usually get the fuel pump to engage. At least a guy can get it to another location. I feel for ya' having to do the work while laying on a frying pan. A little trick that is used by some racers is to have a small spray bottle with water in it, and mist their engines, parts, or area they are going to be working on. After a few minutes of misting & evaporating the area cools off and makes it more tolerable to work on stuff. Again though ... good job.