Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

New to me! 1974 K5 Blazer!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Dude! I stumbled across the Diecast K5s on eBay the other day. Bought one and I'm gonna repaint it to look like my dads... and I'll probably buy another and paint it like mine... lol

Old 12-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The worst starter I've seen was after I bounced one off a rock (while it was installed). The nose cone shattered, leaving the starter dangling by the wires. Luckily for me, I had the presence of mind to leave the truck running while I disconnected the battery positive and then the main starter wires. It was one of our old farm trucks, a '73 K20. We ended up needing to replace the positive battery cable because it had melted at one spot.

CBC, I haven't done anything with mine yet other than smack the kids when they try to play with them.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:08 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

I kind of want to print this page of your thread out to give to anybody who ever says I'm too hard on my truck when I go offroading, lol

Old 12-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That wasn't even offroading. That was service work.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:17 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

My point exactly! lol

Old 12-22-2011, 10:46 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
CBC, I haven't done anything with mine yet other than smack the kids when they try to play with them.
lol, I know right. I think I might have to pick up 2 of the model builder specials so that my little one can have one to play with

Old 12-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator

So the front diff is leaking from the pinion seal now. Another thing I am glad happened before I really needed the truck. I just decided to engaged the front hubs when I had the truck in the garage last Thursday just to make sure they were engaged when it finally decides to be winter around here.

I have a new pinion seal on order so I'll tackle that Friday. I also checked the availability of a new front yoke in case the seal journal is worn in too hard. I didn't check the pinion for play, but will before I tear it down too far. If there is any play, I'll probably tear it down and rebuild it.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Replaced the pinion seal on the Dana-44 front axle in the K5. No more leaks there.

However, now that it has gotten cold again, the K5 still seems to have trouble starting. I'm starting to think that the new battery (as of this time last year I believe) is somehow at fault. There is 2-3mA draw on the battery which should be easily handled by the battery over a month or so period, let alone a few days. I cleaned the battery cable connections again just to be sure everything was good in that respect. Sit the charger on it for less than a minute and it fires right up... I have a 130A battery load tester on the way since my dad ran his load tester over with the 8640...

Also, since the last oil change, it looks like the front main seal is leaking as well. At least that one is easy to get at. The rear main was nice & dry when I was in there replacing the torque converter bolts.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:28 PM

Kyle what is the paint code for the original Blue it was? I can't seem to get my dad to listen to me for 2 seconds so he can go out to his truck and get the code. And yours is close enough.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:24 PM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

What happened to that rusted out 74 you were going to snag?

Quick Reply: New to me! 1974 K5 Blazer!!