Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

New Stock Bumper Mod - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:24 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Stock Bumper Mod - Suggestions? (View this version, sorry!)

I finally got around to taking a closer look at my dented front bumper/valance after talking to my neighbor yesterday about it. This is what I've done so far to try and remount part of it to cover the gap left from the Smittybilt bumper.

I separated the valance and whatever you call the metal piece and hammered out the dent in the side as best I could. Then I ran to Lowe's and got a hacksaw. I think it looks pretty good so far, still need to smooth it out, sand and repaint but that's no problem. My problem I need help with is how to reattach what is basically the corner of the bumper... I am thinking maybe a 90 degree angle added to what looks like a tray holding the elec. conduit, then bolting to that. Here are some pics and a link to more pics... Please tell me what you think! Oh yeah, I finally peeled those damn factory pinstripes off too. Getting closer to all black!
(The last pic is to show what there is in there, plus what i might be able to build off of...)

ALBUM - http://rides.webshots.com/album/573138444DrKyTH

Last edited by amazinnblazin; 06-21-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:30 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Looks good, just to let you know, your links to the pictures aren't working, I had to go through your album, try posting them directly in your post with the [img ][/ img] code

Old 06-21-2009, 02:59 PM

I tried that but that is why i had so many posts, the pics were HUGE, then were disappearing. Thanks for the heads up!

***Fixed original post, link works now

Old 06-21-2009, 05:11 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Anyway, I think your idea may work, you might also have to cut another half inch off your bumper to get the end to line up with the fender (just for cosmetics).

You could also weld a piece of square tubing on either side of your smittybilt and bolt the bumper sections to that at the same time for added strength.

It's gonna look good when you're finished, much cleaner.
And you can probably sell that front valence for a good chunk of change. The only one's they make now are "paint-to-match" and are $260 CAD.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 AM

Here is what I have so far. It is the side that got banged up, which has not been smoothed or cleaned up/repainted. I probably will leave as is until I get back from Colorado this summer, except for painting the two bolts you see, as well as most likely adding another to pin in the side.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Cool

So this is about everything except for the final cleanup, which will wait until my 4x4 trip in Colorado. I am pretty damn proud of myself!
***I should also say that without my wife holding pieces for me I would still be under that damn thing!***

Last edited by amazinnblazin; 06-22-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Beginning Member
007jimmy is on a distinguished road

where did you get the bumper center section... i have found a few websites that make offroad style bumpers for our trucks but there to big or to small for what im lookin for... this looks rather good and seems rather simply to pull off..

Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

looks damn good. I like it better with the bumper pieces on it.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 AM

Thanks! And to think, my wife has been complaining for 6 months about that "damn metal and plastic in the garage" lol! Good thing I did it now, I think she might have tossed it all! (She helped alot too!)

Quick Reply: New Stock Bumper Mod - Suggestions?