Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Off Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:54 PM
2001Blue is on a distinguished road
Default Off Road Noise

Start the new project build for my 2003 ZR2 Blazer that I just picked up in April of this year with a mere 84000 miles on it. Couple small door dings and some rock chips and otherwise its all good.

Many things planned for this truck. First up is gutting, installing sound deadening and the stereo system. Then new gauge faces, LED lights, Brush Guard, Differentials, Lift etc etc.

Speaking of the gutting that happened this weekend already

Sound deadening is on the way and then its install time.

Last edited by 2001Blue; 08-01-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Changed photo to remove plate number
Old 08-03-2011, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

what do you plan on doing for sound deadening? just peel and stick or more?

i ask because simple peal and stick won't cut down on road noise and such as much as other options will

Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 PM

I has several different things that I am planning on using to quiet it down. Basically a full coating of BXT for the entire floor pan, and BXT II for the sides and roof along with spray on sound deadener for harder to reach places. All followed by a layer of Ensolite closed cell foam on the sides and roof. Probably going to go with a layer of the Dynapad for the front half of the floor where most of the exhaust is traveling close to the body. I also have a Dynamat Hoodliner in my garage that I actually have no idea where it came from to be honest. I don't remember buying it. But its there so I will use it.

Last edited by 2001Blue; 08-03-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer
Old 08-04-2011, 01:00 AM
BF Veteran

ok, i only ask because i have a whole layer of raammat bxt 2 on my truck, along with second skin luxury liner pro on the floor and then second skin "overkill" on all the panels and sheet metal.

its quiet as if i'm sitting in a studio. i'll be driving next to people with huge sound systems and i can't hear them over my music at low volumes even. my buddy's van does a 153db on the termlab and i can't even hear the bass when he is driving right next to me. i love the quiet ride i get. people don't believe me that i'm driving even when on speaker phone.

good luck with it and if you have any questions i'm only an hour south of you man.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 AM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Looks good, can't wait to see the build!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM

@ MTopper, I looked into the luxury liner and luxury liner pro out of curiosity. Decided I was going to get the Luxury Liner to go over the ensolite on the floor.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:03 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Wow that is a clean truck... hopefully we get to see some dirty pictures too, haha.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:22 PM

Well, while working with everything, I found a few problems. First someone botched the install of the passenger rear quarter glass and it leaks like all hell. and the previous owner was too lazy to spend the extra time to install the stereo right and just cut a chuck out of the rubber seal in the firewall. Everytime the AC is on, it leaks water into the truck. Some people's children. Oh well, all fixed, tomorrow I start sound deadening the floor.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:07 PM
BF Veteran

a tip to you is not to put too much dampening on the rear wheel wells. i have a layer of mlv on it but had to peel it off in order to put my panels back on

Old 08-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Well, UPS FINALLY delivered all of my sound deadening, but with all the rain the last couple days, I haven't been able to get much done to it. Hopefully the next couple days will be better.

@MTopper. Do you think it I just take the factory carpet backing, that like mulched up type carpet on the backside, off that I could do the wheel well with a layer of BXT, Ensolite and MLV?

Quick Reply: Off Road Noise