Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Pollution control on a '87 350 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Beginning Member
johnb is on a distinguished road
Default Pollution control on a '87 350 Blazer

My 18 year old son has recently bought '87 350 Blazer. I got home on Friday to my shock and he had cut the exhaust system off and was in the process of removing (cutting it out)the pollution control system -air pump, tubing to the exhaust manifolds ect. He had a set of headers he wanted to put on. As a novice he really didn't know what he was doing. With my help he got the headers on and exhaust system installed. My question- is it possible to by pass all the pollution control garbage. SC does not have an inspection so that is not a problem. The 350 has a throttle body. It won't start now, have spark and will fire with starting fluid, doesn't seem to be getting gas to the throttle body. I had a 89 Dakota that I removed the pollution control system and it ran fine. Any advice would be appreciated

Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

That's weird. I did the same thing with my 93 s10 with no problems at the very most it should have just threw a engine code. Maybe something else got cut. Try to hook a scanner up and see if you get any codes

Old 04-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Beginning Member
WalkingDown is on a distinguished road

Does it have a fuel shut off switch that needs to be reset?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for your help, have not had a chance to check it out will do this weekend
John

Old 04-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Beginning Member
1SLOW64 is on a distinguished road

87 pollution control stuff shouldn't effect starting.
I had a 94 musting with everything removed and it passed inspection here in FL.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Beginning Member

I checked the fuel pump in the tank it's goods I replacing the fuel relay still pump doesn't come on. If it has a fuel shut off where would it be located? I checked all the fuses in the box they are all good. It has good spark to the plugs and will fire with starter fluid. The only thing my son took off was the air pump and the tubing to the exhaust manifolds. I've got him today checking all the wires. Ran fine until he took the air pump off. Got me stumped. I've got a Clymer 67-87 shop manual which is not very good any better ones out there? The positive lead coming off the battery has a heavy gage wire going to the starter and a smaller gage + lead which he said he never took off. It is constantly hot (found that out when I touched it) I can't believe it went to nothing and was just loose. Has a round connection looks to go on a terminal somewhere life of me can't find it any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Mine is a 87 mini blazer and all the smog stuff has been gone for awhile

Old 05-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Starting Member
Ck1500 is on a distinguished road

can you hear the fuel pump comming on when the key is turned to the on position? if not i would look more into electrical. there is no fuel cut off on these trucks, i have had a couple of 1987 K-5's
if you hear the fuel pump come on when the key is in the on position i would crawl under the truck on the passenger side fuel rail and disconnect the fuel filter, probably needs to be changed anyways, i have had quite a few of them die on me, once you have it removed make sure there is nothing around that area, that can cause a spark, and maybe put down a catch can for it, turn the key on, and make sure your getting fuel there. if so install the new fuel filter, and make your way to the TBI, and follow lines up there, i would unbolt from the Tbi, and check the same way, to make sure there is no clogs or anything silly going on with it first.

as for removing the smog/air pump there really isnt a need to do this, unless your trying to clean up the engine compartment of the truck. the pump doesnt rob the engine of much HP... trust me, i have ran both ways.. you wont notice a seat of the pants difference either! and if they ever do bring the EPA to your state your going to have to re-install all that stuff.. "goodluck on the pump working again" for whatever reason i have removed a couple of pumps and re-installed them. they dont seem to like the storage or something because they end up dying quick.. if it were me i would keep it on the truck. to save the headache... but whats done is done.

as for the wire dangling under the truck? that would concern me to unless someone that had it before you had some accessory on it, and they just cut the wire for it...

let me know if any of this helps.. and dont get too discouraged!!! its very easy to do... and wont get you any quicker..

Ck1500

Old 05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Beginning Member
WalkingDown is on a distinguished road

I would agree with CK1500.
I did some surfing and found that there probably isnt a fuel reset switch on the GM trucks. Check fuse and relay and follow CK1500 advice.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Beginning Member

Still haven't found the problem checked all the fuses will spend this Sunday checking all the wires for any breaks got to something simple I have over looked

Quick Reply: Pollution control on a '87 350 Blazer