Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project 1 dollar red blaze

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Beginning Member
truck317 is on a distinguished road

So I picked up a 1997 s10 blazer for a buck. The blazer has been sitting for over a year in a barn because the lady who had it says that the tranny was bad. So I towed it home with a car dollie and gave it a quick bath with the pressure washer.
I put the battery on a trickle charger over night and i figured I would have to buy a new battery and guess what the battery was still good I was very tickled pink. So I found a few chewed wires such as the coil wire 1 spark plug wire a wire going to the computer and one other wire. So I fixed the wires that I could and got a new spark plug wire set and replaced all the plug wires and still had no spark. So I crawled under neath the front of the old girl and found that 2 wires were chewed off right at the cam shaft sensor plug. Well I get to a local junk yard and got a new plug for 2 bucks and wired it up and the old girl started right up and sounded really good.
Well i could not wait to take her for a ride so i drove it around the block a few time and the tranny worked fine and It started to over heat a little and the 4x4 would not work. So my dad had a bright idea to change the tranny fluid, gaskets and filter. Well I did and and I had to 3rd gear. So last Friday I went to another local yard and picked up a tranny from a 1997 jimmy for 150 bucks and put a new radiator in her today.
Here are some pics that i took of it

As you can tell the rottie had to get into in as soon as I opened up the doors to check out his new ride. The back window does not say up so I need to find some new window struts and the back is sagging pretty good. the old man aka dad said the the front T-bars were cranked up and I said no way the leafs are shot. Here is some more pics that I have had a chance to take. The new tranny, leaf springs and the old radiator vs the new one. The mice must of got a hold of the old one.

Attached Thumbnails Project 1 dollar red blaze-side-view.jpg   Project 1 dollar red blaze-back-odie.jpg   Project 1 dollar red blaze-45-angle.jpg   Project 1 dollar red blaze-leafs.jpg   Project 1 dollar red blaze-new-tranny.jpg  

Project 1 dollar red blaze-radiators.jpg  

Last edited by rriddle3; 09-13-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Good luck with fixin it up! Good find too!!!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Beginning Member

thanks a lot I will also be repainting the bumpers and the tire swing arm and also the lower part of the sides to match the black on the front and rear bumpers. I will probably be using bed liner spray to paint everything. also when I get new leafs I will be putting 2in shackles in the back and crank up the t-bar to put either 265 tires on or or 30in. I am trying to get a hold of some of the high schools around the area to take out the junk tranny and put the good one in and see why the 4x4 is not working and see why the fuel gauge is not working.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Good luck with the truck. I have a question about the 4 wheel drive thou. do the lights work and or do you here anything when pressing the switches. This will help us all help you diagnos the problem.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Beginning Member

ok here's whats going on the 2 wheel drive light works when it is in 2 wheel drive. i can not switch into 4 high or 4 low when the vehicle is moving and the owners manual says it should. when i press 4 low button the light comes on and it makes a clunk likes it should and the 4 low light stays on when i put it into drive. so when i get it back into 2 wheel drive and try to press the 4 high there is no clunk and both the 4 high and 4 low lights flash for 5 sec or so and then goes back to 2 wheel drive. the only way i can switch in into 4 low is when the vehicle is into neutral.

Last edited by truck317; 09-14-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

That is a steal of a deal for that price. Good luck with getting it running right.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

4 low can only go in at a stop in neutral. 4hi can go in from a roll, up to 120km/h I believe. I may be wrong about the speed of safely going into 4hi, but mine did it.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:30 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by truck317
ok here's whats going on the 2 wheel drive light works when it is in 2 wheel drive. i can not switch into 4 high or 4 low when the vehicle is moving and the owners manual says it should. when i press 4 low button the light comes on and it makes a clunk likes it should and the 4 low light stays on when i put it into drive. so when i get it back into 2 wheel drive and try to press the 4 high there is no clunk and both the 4 high and 4 low lights flash for 5 sec or so and then goes back to 2 wheel drive. the only way i can switch in into 4 low is when the vehicle is into neutral.
Originally Posted by Logan
4 low can only go in at a stop in neutral. 4hi can go in from a roll, up to 120km/h I believe. I may be wrong about the speed of safely going into 4hi, but mine did it.
4 HI should work on the fly up to 50mph (here in the states LOL) 4LOW is only accesable from neutral and under 5mph.
You may have a problem with your TCCM or encoder motor for the transfer case. I will ask at work and get back to you. Sorry I did not see the reply sooner.
I spoke to a couple guys guys where I work (dealership) and the agree that with out checking the vehicle they would guess TCCM or Encoder motor.
I hope this helps you out.

Last edited by DKSDAD; 09-16-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Beginning Member

so the best bet is to go and get a new transfer case then. well the guy who i got the tranny from has the transfer case that was with the tranny so i will have to call him and there goes another 50 bucks in the old girl

Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 AM
BF Veteran

$50.00 may not be a bad investment either way just to have a back up unit. Before you swap transfercases though try swapping the encoder motor from one to another if it includes one to see what happens. While you are at it you should see if he will throw it a TCCM.
One thing I forgot to ask was do you have vacuum going to the actuator on the diff.

Quick Reply: Project 1 dollar red blaze