Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

project - 74 k5 blazer restore/upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Beginning Member
collin_k5_blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default project - 74 k5 blazer restore/upgrade...

Ok,
so it has been a rough couple of hours trying to get all of my photos taken, uploaded, resized, and finally get the code (html???) correct so that I could embed them here in my posts. I really try not to be a dummy on things like this, and usually just wind up overthinking things too much... but after reading Kyles (swartlkk ?) write up on how to post images, I got er all figured out (thanks Kyle).
I took a break from figuring out how to post images on the forum and got to work on the project truck and here are some pictures of what I have been doing so far. What is not included are pictures of the disassembly of the rear bumper, and lowering of the gas tank. But here you can see my sending unit, and why I decided to replace pretty much the entire fuel system, from the tank up to the carb.

yeah, she is pretty rusted out and pitted and in need of replacing. I have a new polyethylene gas tank that I ordered, new gas tank straps (both from JC Whitney, free shipping too!) and I will be buying a new sending unit, fuel pump (mechanical) and filter this week.

Here is a picture of my truck...

This truck has been sitting for a LONG time, over eight years I think. When I got it, it started up and I drove it into its current spot in my side yard. I let it idle for a few hours, tinkered with the carb for a while, and figured I would drop the gas tank to check if I needed to replace it, and that is when I joined the forum here.
The rust is really not as bad as it looks, just a light surface rust that can be easily sanded off.

Interior of backseat, it was covered up the whole time truck was sitting, I was really amazed at the great condition of the interior in general, will post more pictures soon.

And below is the engine compartment which houses the 350 small block (has 83,000 original miles on it).

next is a picture of the bottom side of the TH350. Who knows how long this thing has been covered in grime like this. I have never rebuilt a transmission before, so this might be my first one, I will posting pics as I go along...

And here is a pic of the GM 12 bolt rear axle, going to be replaced with a 14 bolt FF axle from a donor truck that I will post pictures of soon. I am stealing both axles, the suspension lift, and maybe some engine components from a 72 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado...

and here we have the Rochester 4 barrell carb, rebuilt a while back, but I plan on doing it again

Old 12-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Beginning Member
Default RE: project - 74 k5 blazer restore/upgrade...

Ok, whew... this is my first posting on a forum so I would like to be sure... are the pictures the right size? too much writing? anything else that I should be doing that I am not?

My overall plans for this truck:

- get it running ASAP!!
- complete fuel system overhaul (maybe fuel lines will stay, not sure yet)
- axle swaps, dana 60 and GM 14 bolt rear from donor truck
- suspension lift from that same donor truck
- maybe new gears on those axles and 33 or 35 inch tires
- rebuild transmission (more for curiositys sake than anything else, although it could probably use it anyways)
- build a custom rear bumper with tire carrier, jack, and gas can holders
- after all that, I will begin to work on the aesthetics, maybe rebuild the engine and swap in a beefier transfer case

SO...... what do you guys think? any ideas, suggestions, comments, tips, pointers, or anything else ?

Thank you in advance for any help or ideas, and thanks for checking out my new project...

I will be posting pictures soon of what I am doing to her...

Old 12-06-2008, 08:25 AM
crazy4wdracer is an unknown quantity at this point

Pictures are the right size. You're doing fine. Good luck with the build, keep us posted.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:52 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good, cannot wait to see her topless!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Beginning Member

Update: 1/1/09

I have run into a snag while working on the project, maybe someone here has encountered something similar...

While getting ready to install my new polyethylene gas tank from MTS, I have ran into a little bit of a problem. I believe the problem stems from the fact that the gas tanks manufactured back in the day were made for either leaded or unleaded gasoline, but I am not sure, so here goes.
The issue is that on the new poly gas tank, the inlet hole where the filler neck hose attaches is much smaller than the original filler neck hose on the gas tank that came with the 74 blazer. I have checked the part number of the new tank with MTS, and, according to them, gas tank number 2231 is the correct one for my year and model truck. It could be that MTS made a series of gas tanks that used the OUTSIDE DIAMETER instead of the INSIDE DIAMETER when they got their specs on these tanks, but I honestly do not know.
I was hoping you guys here would be able to help out and maybe give some suggestions or let me know which one of my ideas seems plausible.
Option 1: try to get in contact with MTS, triple check part number and specs, maybe talk to management - I don't really like this option, but it might be best...
Option 2: fabricate something to attach to Blazer side of the filler neck (the metal part) that reduces the pipe size down so that I can use a fuel filler hose to fit both the new poly tank, and the original filler neck. (fuel filler hose is 1 and 3/8 inch ID.)
Option 3: fabricate or buy one of those sleeves that you put into the hose to reduce it down to size, I have seen this for radiator hosese, but have not had any luck finding what I need.
Option 4: scrap the whole idea of a poly tank, send it back for refund (JC Whitney) and either restore my old one ( I am thinking of pouring in some diesel fuel, a dozen or so ball bearings, and swishing it around for an hour or so, rinse and repeat, then seal it with some commercial gas tank sealer product) or buy a new replacement steel tank from LMC.

I would really appreciate any input, advice, ideas, or suggestions, and especially if anyone has run into this problem before, what did you do? I want to get my fuel tank back up, but I guess I can wait until I talk to MTS and see what the deal is, (did I get a defective part? the wrong part? WHY is that inlet tube a different size???!!!??!?!?!)

Old 01-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member

I wound up going with Option 2 from above, I went to my pappy with ideas about brazing together a reducer and a section of copper pipe to make it work. Below is what we came up with...

Here is what my final product looks like, with piece of 1 and 3/8 inch hose that will connect to the filler neck of the blazer, the adapter we fashioned, and a piece of 1 and 1/4 inch hose to attach the filler hose to the new poly gas tank.

And here it is all hooked up and ready to go, now I am just waiting on my sending unit from BROTHERS TRUCK parts in Corona, CA

Old 01-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Beginning Member

Got some pictures taken today. I started to pull out the carpet today, and was absolutely stunned with how well this truck kept here in the desert. This thing is basically RUST FREE!! The wheels are junk anyway, and I will be looking for replacements soon. But all of the floor panels, the bed, kick panels, and every part that usually rusts out, is clean as a whistle on this thing... I am just giddy... also just trying to keep busy until my sending unit arrives. will be posting soon...

Old 02-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a very nice project truck! How's the work comin'?

Old 02-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

dang i wish my inside floor panels looked that clean. they're so clean i can look through them. lol. gotta love the michigan cancer,
anyways hows it coming together,

Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Starting Member
troydeiterman is on a distinguished road

I have a k-5 i am getting ready to do some work on. i was pretty hard on it before.