Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Blazed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Rockwood4 is on a distinguished road

Hey blazerguy, love what you're doin with your truck. I was on truck town thunder for 4 years before I enlisted in the airforce. First honestly helped me get my first job out oh hs doing cnc/laser cutting. Keep up the build man.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:35 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like it's coming along nicely. The ZR2's are so nice. But I always worried about the fact that the s series vehicles don't have alot of aftermarket parts in general, and the ZR2's have even less. But they are awesome vehicles!

Really hatin on those shackles. Hope to get mine in the next month. And I hate to be another person beating the dead horse. But IMHO the cap thing isn't really needed. It does "stiffin" the current flow, but it is also another drain on the electrical system. How many competition car audio set-ups with caps? Normally it's just younger guys and show cars that use them. And where you are in a bigger town/state than me, you may have an alternator/starter rebuild shop near you.

You can order rebuild kits for the stock cs-130 alts for up to 200+ amps and the parts cost about $110 before shipping and only takes about an hour to swap out parts. I'm debating between a 240 amp ad-244 alt for $349 and a cs-130 220 amp alt for $243.

What's next in the build?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:37 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rockwood4
Hey blazerguy, love what you're doin with your truck. I was on truck town thunder for 4 years before I enlisted in the airforce. First honestly helped me get my first job out oh hs doing cnc/laser cutting. Keep up the build man.
It's awesome to see someone whose been on first on this site! Ive been the driver for FEDS 201 for 2 years now (3rd year on the team) and am loving every second of it! What years were you in first?

btw, thanks for your service

Old 05-21-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
Looks like it's coming along nicely. The ZR2's are so nice. But I always worried about the fact that the s series vehicles don't have alot of aftermarket parts in general, and the ZR2's have even less. But they are awesome vehicles!

Really hatin on those shackles. Hope to get mine in the next month. And I hate to be another person beating the dead horse. But IMHO the cap thing isn't really needed. It does "stiffin" the current flow, but it is also another drain on the electrical system. How many competition car audio set-ups with caps? Normally it's just younger guys and show cars that use them. And where you are in a bigger town/state than me, you may have an alternator/starter rebuild shop near you.

You can order rebuild kits for the stock cs-130 alts for up to 200+ amps and the parts cost about $110 before shipping and only takes about an hour to swap out parts. I'm debating between a 240 amp ad-244 alt for $349 and a cs-130 220 amp alt for $243.

What's next in the build?
yea im really starting to think if i put any more things onto my electrical system i will really need to get a new alternator haha, and i recently put on the bull bar from nvanzee i just need to get some pics up here of it, also you may have seen my thread around here of getting a new driveshaft. However, my next project i plan on tackling tomorrow...or rather today i guess...is painting the rear window trim =D wish me luck

Old 05-22-2010, 02:40 AM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
Thank you for the tip on the power wires, this is completely not an issue on mine because i ran the power wire under the vehicle and brought it up near the tailgate haha. I thought that would be the easiest way to go since i wouldn't have to bring it through the firewall.

You aren't suppose to ever run amp wires under your car or through door jams. They can get easily pinched and damaged in these places and in some cases even cause your car to catch fire. I have 4 guage in my blazer and it wasn't that hard to run it through the firewall. There's a rubber grommet under the passenger dashboard, you have to pull the carpet down in order to find it... pull out the grommet cut a hole in it for your wire and send the wire through. Just lettin ya know. I'd hate to see a truck as nice as yours burn up :/

Old 05-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sturg
You aren't suppose to ever run amp wires under your car or through door jams. They can get easily pinched and damaged in these places and in some cases even cause your car to catch fire. I have 4 guage in my blazer and it wasn't that hard to run it through the firewall. There's a rubber grommet under the passenger dashboard, you have to pull the carpet down in order to find it... pull out the grommet cut a hole in it for your wire and send the wire through. Just lettin ya know. I'd hate to see a truck as nice as yours burn up :/
I understand your point, I have my amp wire running along with my brake lines so I was kinda thinking it would be in a safe area, what do you think? Also the ones I have runnin through the door jams are completely temporary

Old 05-22-2010, 12:06 PM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

Running the along the brake lines will be fine. If something gets up there you'll have bigger problems then no sub lol, just as long as everything is fused correctly you'll be good to go. I actually like having the power wiring under the car so that I can keep them away from audio cables.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
I understand your point, I have my amp wire running along with my brake lines so I was kinda thinking it would be in a safe area, what do you think? Also the ones I have runnin through the door jams are completely temporary

Yeah they're fine, like noted ^ if something does happen you'll have more issues than no sub lol. and are your rca's and remote wires running through your door jam?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sturg
Yeah they're fine, like noted ^ if something does happen you'll have more issues than no sub lol. and are your rca's and remote wires running through your door jam?
All I have running through my door jam is the little hood LEDs, and the wires that run between the trail light switch and the relay

Old 05-22-2010, 04:35 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

running power wires is perfectly safe if you secure them to the frame and make sure they're up out of the way. And, how would you run it through the door jam? obviously speaker wire fits, but why would power wire go in it? i'm just lost i guess

Quick Reply: Project Blazed