Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

camper frame reincarnation

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 06:24 PM
Starting Member
bravo99 is on a distinguished road
Default camper frame reincarnation

my first attempt at making something out of nothing LOL... the main deck comes in at six and a half feet by 10 foot 7. Those deck boards have been cut to length and stained sitting in my driveway for 10 years lol, about time to show her some love.

good bones...

a little underpowered Maybe?

presto!

maybe a touch Overkill....

Last edited by bravo99; 05-30-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:28 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

What are your end plans with it? How wide is too wide to keep it road legal without needing an oversize permit?

Old 05-29-2020, 02:18 AM
Starting Member

in Michigan you don't need an oversize permit unless your load is larger wider then a semi-trailer or step deck. My trailer is not that wide. Most Yooper snowmobile trailers are eight wide over the wheels. Mine is six and a half between the wheels. The axle came off a totalled Haulmark flush mount enclosed car/toy hauler, which is legal to be pulled by any pickup. It's just going to be a landscape style trailer, you will get pics as we build the side rails this weekend. I would love to get a 76 or even better 2 38's of Steel landscape tailgate to weld onto the bumper frame. I just bought my 5/4" x 6" 12 foot side rail boards today at The Home Dee-pot. I've been calling all the trailer stores around here but no one seems to want to get a hold of a manufacturer just to order a tailgate LOL. I guess I'm not customer enough material for them.
The funny thing is I already have my Michigan permanent plate for that trailer as an assembled trailer. So it's just kind of reassembled...😎

Last edited by bravo99; 05-29-2020 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:59 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I recall my father doing something similar when I was a youngin. He acquired a run down pull behind camper, tore it to pieces down to the bare frame and axle right out in the front yard, was the most hillbilly scene ever, my mother was livid. In the end he put all new wood on the flooring and built up the sides. Thing was like 16 foot long. I can't image the lumber was much cheaper than just buying a trailer back then, but he was always the type that would rather build it himself... I least I know where I get that trait from

Old 05-29-2020, 07:43 PM
Starting Member

I was actually slightly inspired by memories of helping my dad build a wood bed box on the back of my grandpa's pickup. and by help I mean ask a ton of questions and maybe hand over a wrench once in a blue moon or chase a stray nut. Good Times.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:53 PM
Starting Member

progress...

that top row of backstop is literally the scraps from my side boards. Total waste two inches lol. The lid opens without touching, like a glove.

U bolt with lug nuts through the tool box.

ignore that Fender it's a placeholder. this is the general shape though.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:20 PM

Looking good!

How did you extend the wheels out further? Did you swap the axle or something?

Old 05-30-2020, 07:56 PM
Starting Member

yes we took the little axle off and I bought that axle from the guy who's barn I'm in. he runs a trailer rental business in town. I kind of contracted him to do it / help me do it. it was the good one of a salvage dual axle Haulmark total out of his. when he rebuilt his trailer he replaced both axles and kept the good one (until now LOL). Those wheels are Chevy 2 wheel drive Astro / 1500 5 on 5's. Another great Craigslist find that I paid 60 bucks for the pair, with the tires on them.

Last edited by bravo99; 05-30-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:48 PM

ah okay

Old 06-01-2020, 02:56 PM
Starting Member

Hole saw wouldn't touch it but the angle grinder ate it up.

if it sits it fits.

Startin ta look like somethin.

Last edited by bravo99; 06-01-2020 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: camper frame reincarnation