Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Maritime Blazin'

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Beginning Member
bill737 is on a distinguished road

Okay, I'll ask here - but don't say I didn't warn ya about the dumb questions! lol

First, the Dash LED modification. Do you actually have to pull the bulbs out of the little plastic twist-clip? Earlier in this thread, someone saying he was having trouble with that and it confused me a bit. I haven't bought the bulbs yet, nor have I pulled the panel, so I am just trying to research as much as I can first.

Secondly, do you have an opinion on using primer before bed-liner? Some others have helped me on the forum, but figured I would get your opinion too since you've applied the bed-liner. I read a one forum thread where a guy wished he had use primer in retrospect.

Thirdly, on a 2000 ZR2, is anything holding the grill in place other than pressure clips? I've read that some people have to take out headlights prior to pulling.

Thanks for letting me ask! I am all excited to do some modifying; it's awesome that you document and help people by illustrating your mods! I will try to do the same once I get rolling!

Last edited by bill737; 09-03-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 AM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bill737
Okay, I'll ask here - but don't say I didn't warn ya about the dumb questions! lol

First, the Dash LED modification. Do you actually have to pull the bulbs out of the little plastic twist-clip? Earlier in this thread, someone saying he was having trouble with that and it confused me a bit. I haven't bought the bulbs yet, nor have I pulled the panel, so I am just trying to research as much as I can first.

Secondly, do you have an opinion on using primer before bed-liner? Some others have helped me on the forum, but figured I would get your opinion too since you've applied the bed-liner. I read a one forum thread where a guy wished he had use primer in retrospect.

Thirdly, on a 2000 ZR2, is anything holding the grill in place other than pressure clips? I've read that some people have to take out headlights prior to pulling.

Thanks for letting me ask! I am all excited to do some modifying; it's awesome that you document and help people by illustrating your mods! I will try to do the same once I get rolling!
You will need to take the bulbs out of the sockets to put the new ones it, unless you buy some LED's that come with the socket. I'll be doing my dash lights within the next couple weeks, I'll let ya know how difficult that step is.

Those clips are the only thing holding in the grille. You can pull it off without taking off the headlights. Only thing you need to watch is that the signal lights are attached to the grille, so when you are taking out the grille, be sure do unplug the signal light bulbs from the housing.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks! Where did you end up buying your LED's from? I found them on eBay as linked earlier in this thread, but I've always tried to stay away from items for sale overseas. I hope to find a 10 pack more local for around that price - gotta do some more searching.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:39 AM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bill737
Thanks! Where did you end up buying your LED's from? I found them on eBay as linked earlier in this thread, but I've always tried to stay away from items for sale overseas. I hope to find a 10 pack more local for around that price - gotta do some more searching.
These are the exact ones I ordered for the dash.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2pcs-168-194-2825...item2c56ff2f93

I spent a lot of time looking over the LED thread on S-10 Forum, which is up to around 400 posts. It was pretty unanimous that people preferred the 5-power SMDs. They linked me to that seller too.

You can also check out SuperbrightLEDs. They have a wide selection of LEDs.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...Fled_prods.htm

I was told that the SMDs from overseas were better than the 5-power LEDs from superbrights in terms of brightness and dispersion of the light.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, I found everything I need from one seller on eBay and they are not that far away!

I have one last question and it's kind of embarassing. Out of curiosity I started pulling the dash bezel off even though I don't have any parts to swap out yet, but I stopped short of getting it all the way off. I was having trouble figuring out how that 4x4 clip comes off, as well as the small clip under the headlight clip. What is the trick to those?

I watched a video someone posted, but of course those 2 clips were sort of glossed over and he actually mentioned how hard the one under the headlight clip was to get off and then put the camera down to remove it without explaining. lol

I am not gonna try again till I have all my LEDs and my stereo wiring kit. Any tips?

Last edited by bill737; 09-04-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:43 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

just gonna ask. You took the screws out, right?
The 4x4 button should just push out. Not too sure. With the light switch, just pull the plugs out the back. The rear window switch you can unplug, but I always push it out because it makes it easier to pull the plug out.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Beginning Member

yea, i took out all the screws. i just meant that those 2 clips in particular seemed a bit tough to release. i'll figure it out; i was just a bit worried to break something and didn't press my luck since i didn't have anything to swap just yet. lol

Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Update on my truck: DEAD. lol.

Fuel pump went on the way home the other night...no warning, just died. Hopefully will have that fixed this week, but 300$ part is not the greatest timing right now.

I just replied to your PM Bill, sorry for the delay. Like I said I'm in the process of trying to sell my place, so I'm been pretty busy.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Quote from Sisk for the day.

"I wanna see yours"

Said to a male......

And are you sure its the fuel pump?

Old 09-07-2010, 06:32 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Hey...what happens on BBM stays on BBM lol. And yeah i'm 99% sure. it's whining really bad and im not getting pressure at the schrader valve.

Quick Reply: Project Maritime Blazin'