Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Rehab

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 AM
drice72 is on a distinguished road
Default Project Rehab

This thread is just what the title says. My fiance has a long neglected '99 GMC Jimmy. This vehicle has had little use over the past three years, but due to circumstances (Mainly being the defective head design in the Ford 5.7 Trition V8) this Jimmy is now going to become our only mode of transportation.

It has a Vortec V6 with 165k+ Automatic transmission, tow/haul switch, 4wd.

I have several things I have already done, and am in the process of doing.

This weekend:
Oil and filter change
Trans fluid and filter change
fuel filter change
air filter change
diagnose the source of a transmission fluid leak (i'm hoping fluid comes out of the transfer case, that seems to be an easy fix)

I have a few questions though. I read on here about doing a flush at home. they used a hose attached to the return line from the trans cooler. Does this work well?

This thing squeaks like an old mattress. Are there lube points on the chassis, and suspension, or will I have to get new bushings?

I put in a new heater core a couple of years ago and a some electrical components are no longer working. That is another project....

I plan on slowly replacing all the fluids and filters this summer as my money allows it. What order would you change these in?

I'd like any tips to making my rehab easier, I haven't really worked on GMC products.

Thanks in advance!