Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project: Ripcord

Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Basically. It ahs been a maintenance page since i started it... only real mods i got done since i opened this bad boy were :exhaust, roof basket, some painting, and splash guards

as for maintenance... about the only thing i have screwed with is my tranny *knocks on wood*

Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Soooo, you should send all those parts you got sitting around collecting dust right across the country to me

Old 02-23-2010, 01:26 PM
BF Veteran

let me get some cardboard together...

Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

pics pics we want pics!!!

read you pulled an all nighter.
ahhh college and working on cars best and most often reason for all nighters.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:39 PM
BF Veteran

OK I updated The First Page to reflect to current state of my vehicle.

Also added this link to my slowly growing photobucket account (finally).

As for Project Ripcord: i fitted her with new custom leafs, 2" lift shackles, and dash 4x6's last night.

First thing was to soak EVERYTHING with pb blaster. I wasn't going out like a chump again... While that cooked for a bit, I got the back end up in the air on stands, and removed the rear wheels. With a clean area, i went to work...

Like a butcher, I started hacking, and chopping pieces off of my suspension with an air wrench. By FAR the best tool EVER! made the leafs drop off like butter. Here is the P side minus suspension:

With the leaf off i found that the smooth ride leafs are noticably thinner than the Z85 springs i was swapping in AND have a small tapered plate that sits on the perch acting as a spacer allowing more flew at the springs. This makes the final straight pack spring kind of useless as there is still plenty of travel past it now with the 4" spacer hanging out under it. Visible in the last picture...
From there I broke open both leaf packs and swapped the 3rd pack spring (straight one) from my current springs to the bottom of the Z85 giving it a bit of a boost and hopefully increased capacity for when I tow Kiwi's boat
Here it is tucked nicely in place:

and this shows the new pack set up:

I played hell (once everything was installed, trying to get the shackle into place so i could bolt it into place. Turns out, much like an opponent with no abdonimal strength/breathing control, a leafspring is susceptible to a body triangle. So, hanging off the spring like an MMA koala, and stabbing at it with a pry bar left me with a installed 9but dirty) 2" lift shackle, as seen here:

here is what the back end loos like before coming off jack stands:

Lastly, i got measurements when it was all said and done, at all 4 fenders. On a level surface, i measured along the center line of the wheel, from the floor to the edge of the center of the fender arch:

rear @34.5" with 235/75r15's at 35 psi

front @33.25" with 235/75r15 at 35 psi

Lastly I put in my alpine dash speakers finally... OMFG world of difference! Now i just need to throw in the new amps, get a dist block for them, and replace front passenger, and rear driver blown 6.5's.... it never ends....
see attached

Attached Thumbnails Project: Ripcord-100_1123.jpg   Project: Ripcord-100_1124.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

My truck has Z85 springs, and compared to the smooth ride springs, I can say they do ride much firmer.(rougher) But at least they'll last longer.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM
BF Veteran

yeah i tore them up a bit last night on my parents property. going from worn smoothies to stiffened Z85s made me feel more like an empty light pick up than my old girl...

Doesn't take any getting used to, drive wise, just feels different... I dig it so far

Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
BF Veteran
Exclamation

I cannot edit the original first post (it's been 3 years so not a huge surprise). Anyway I just quoted the original and did the edit that way. So...

I started this build thread to join the ranks of those who had inspired me to sit back and comment on how cool everyone else's truck looks as mine stares back at me mostly untouched.

Ripcord 2-1

*Bed Liner Black 2000 4x4 Four Door LS*192k Miles (chassis), 114k on Engine (#3!)*Auto Transmission, Auto-Trac 4WD, G80 Locking Rear Differential with 3.42 Gearing

Current Mods/Changes:
___Interior/Audio:
AUDIO: Clarion CD/MP3/iPod Deck, Alpine SPS406 in dash, JL XR650 in all 4 doors, 1 10" TiS sub, TiS 700x5 Amp
Painted Bezels and Trim Panels
Painted Auto Carpet on Doors, Rear Seat Protectors, and Center Console
Bed Lined Floor Boards
Replaced blank jack carrier panel with Cargo Cover Panel
___Exterior/Suspension:
LIGTHS: All euro-trash converted back to stock, added 2 6" Off-Road auxilliary lights
Undercoated Front bumper
Painted stock grille "Gun Metal" grey
Class III Hitch Receiver with black powder coated Recovery Hook
Double Tube bumper rear end
Monroe Reflex Shocks (front and rear)
Installed Splash guards (front and rear)
Mounted New Driver's Door (old one had custome speed grooves froma pine tree)
Fabricated and Mounted Custom Front Skid Plate
Fabbed up custom mounting brackets for a mid 90's Honda Passport Brush Guard
Mounted Yakima Load Warrior Cargo basket (with center extender)
Bedlined and Installed Roof Basket Air Dam and Bug Deflector
Installed Z85 custom 4 pack leaf springs with new bushings, u-bolts, and mounting hardware
Installed 2" Lift shackles in the rear
2" Body lift installed.
Bedlined the whole exterior to match the inside.
___Engine/Performance:
Cleaned EGR Valve
Cleaned MAF Sensor
Cleaned Throttle Body
Seafoamed Engine
3" CAI with Custom Heat Shield
Cleaned IAC Valve
Installed Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter
Installed Flowmaster Super 40 Muffler with dumped "tail pipe" in front of rear tire

REPLACED: TCCM, TCEM, Transfer Case, PCM, Front CV Axels, Both Upper and Lower ball Joints, LF Hub Assembly, Pitman Arm, Idler Arm, both Motor Mounts, One... NO! Two engines now, Thermostat, Belt Tensioner, Starter, All Shocks, Sway Bar Bushings (front and rear), Sway Bar Links (front), Pre-cat, All 3 O2 Sensors, Catalytic Converter, Muffler, Leaf Springs, Shackles, All Leaf Bushings, U-bolts to axle, Flex plate, All Plugs and Wires, Distributor, Radiator, Transmission cooling lines, the thing the oil filter screws onto... so many parts...

Short Term Projects:
___Interior:
AUDIO: Replace 2 blown speaker
Install Auto Dimming Rear View
Install Switch Panel for Trail Lights
Install Cobra DXii CB and Accessories
Install new Sun Shades
___Exterior:
Mount Auxiliary Lights on Roof Basket
Mount Spare on Basket
Mount Shovel and Hi-Lift on Basket
Bed Line Frame Rails, and Hitch Receiver
Powder Coat 16x8 IROC Rims and slap some 31's on them

Wish List:
___Exterior/Suspension:
4 or 5 ton Winch
265/70R16LT Tires
___Engine/Performance:
K&N Drycharger
ZR2 Rear Axle Swap
3.73 Gears up front
Powertrax Lock-Right Rear Locker
PCM Tune <--- #1 priority

So there she is in a nutshell. I am on a tight budget when it comes to the wish list thanks to a nasty divorce and up-coming PCS to Germany. I need to resurrect my photo journal and try keeping this rolling. Build pics from the above mentioned mods to come. Thanks for reading.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:33 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

WELCOME BACK!!!

glad to see your still kicking, sorry to hear about your personal life going to hell. divorce is not fun

looks like you have been busy though....keep her rollin.

again glad to see your back