Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project: Ripcord

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road
Arrow Project: Ripcord

So here we go. I am joining the ranks of those who have inspired me to sit back and comment on how cool everyone else's truck looks as mine stares back at me mostly untouched. It's build time boys and girls. I hope to have this get a little picture heavy in the later stages, but for now I will lay down the basics. So, with your eyes open, chin on chest, eblows tight to your sides, hand over the ends of your reserve parachute with fingers spread, bend slightly forward at the waist. Keep your feet and knees together with your knees locked to the rear, and I'll see you on the ground:

Ripcord 2-1

*Indigo Blue 2000 4x4 Four Door LS*181k Miles chassis, 103k Engine*Auto Transmission, Auto-Trac 4WD, G80 Locking Rear Differential with 3.42 Gearing

Current Mods/Changes:
___Interior/Audio:
AUDIO: Clarion CD/MP3/iPod Deck, Alpine SPS406 in dash, JL XR650 in all 4 doors, 2 12" Hifonics subs, Subzero box, TiS 700x5 Amp
Painted Bezels and Trim Panels
Painted Auto Carpet on Doors, Rear Seat Protectors, and Center Console
Bed Lined Floor Boards
Replaced blank jack carrier panel with Cargo Cover Panel
___Exterior/Suspension:
LIGTHS: Clear Euro Projector HLs, Clear Euro TLs, Clear Euro Markers
Undercoated Chrome Bumper
Undercoated Odd Chrome Grill Insert
Class III Hitch Receiver with black powder coated Recovery Hook
Monroe Reflex Shocks (front and rear)
Installed Splash guards (front and rear)
Mounted New Driver's Door
Fabricated and Mounted Custom Front Skid Plate
Installed Front Bumper Impact Strip
Mounted Yakima Load Warrior Cargo basket (with center extender)
Bedlined and Installed Roof Basket Air Dam and Bug Deflector
Installed Z85 custom 4 pack leaf springs with new bushings, u-bolts, and mounting hardware
Installed 2" Lift shackles in the rear
___Engine/Performance:
Cleaned EGR Valve
Cleaned MAF Sensor
Cleaned Throttle Body
Seafoamed Engine
3" CAI with Custom Heat Shield
Cleaned IAC Valve
Installed Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter
Installed Flowmaster Super 40 Muffler with custom dumped "tail pipe"

REPLACED: TCCM, TCEM, PCM, Front CV Axels, Both Upper and Lower ball Joints, LF Hub Assembly, Pitman Arm, Idler Arm, both Motor Mounts, Thermostat, Belt Tensioner, Starter, All Shocks, Sway Bar Bushings (front and rear), Sway Bar Links (front), Pre-cat, All 3 O2 Sensors, Catalytic Converter, Muffler, Leaf Springs, Shackles, All Leaf Bushings, U-bolts to axle,

Short Term Projects:
___Interior:
AUDIO: Install JL 500x1 Sub Amp, Install JL 300x2 Amp, and 2 new 6.5's I blew...
Install Auto Dimming Rear View
Install Switch Panel for Trail Lights
Install Finished Center Console
Install Cobra DXii CB and Accessories
___Exterior:
Mount Roof Basket with Auxiliary Lights
Build Custom Brakets for, and mount Brush Guard with 6" Trail lights
Undercoat Frame, Hitch Receiver, Tow Hooks, Axels, Outside Floor Boards
Paint Antenna mast and base assembly
Refinish 16x8 Rims

Wish List:
___Interior/Audio:
Water Proof Seat Covers, Front and Rear
Over Head Console Swap
___Exterior/Suspension:
2” Body Lift
Pioneer Tools (48" Farm Jack, Shovel, Axe, Pick Axe/Mattock, Carrier)
4 or 5 ton Winch
265/70R16LT Tires
Dent Removal and Paint (color undecided)
Bedlined Rocker Panels
Bedlined 4dr Window Visors
___Engine/Performance:
K&N Drycharger
Powertrax Lock-Right Rear Locker
PCM Tune <--- #1 priority
(possible) Engine Swap (327ci SBC?)

So there she is in a nutshell. I am on a tight budget when it comes to the wish list, but still plan to finish my short term projects by this summer. I am building a slow (very slow) photo journal here and trying keep this rolling, but not as fast as i would like (or see others manage). Thanks for reading.

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-27-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

FINALLY!! lol. Yeesh, took ya long enough to get a build thread . I love the name of the project though...very nice! You need pics though, or else this thread is pointless
I want pics of the following ASAP to start it off (I know...I'm very demanding eh? haha ):

Replaced blank jack carrier panel with Cargo Cover Panel
Painted Auto Carpet on Doors, Rear Seat Protectors, and Center Console
Undercoated Chrome Bumper
Street Scene Chrome Grill Insert

And I have to comment on the following:

Install Splash guards (front and rear) - In all seriousness...one word. WHY!? lol

Mount Roof Basket with Auxiliary Rear Lights - Can't wait for this one. It will change the look of your truck completely.

Build Custom Brakets for, and mount Brush Guard with 6" Trail lights
- Do you already have said brush guard? if so...pics!!

Fabricate and mount custom Skid Plate
- What do you plan on using for this? I'd like to have one too, so pics of how you do this is a must

Can't wait to see this one come along. Keep us updated.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

All I can say is DITTO!

lol I've been watching your signature change daily wondering when I would see this thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

ditto on the sig lol. I remember seeing frustrated or burnt out...something along those lines at one point. I was thinking we'd never see this

Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 PM
BF Veteran

LOL I didn't realize anyone actually noticed my sig changes! That was mostly for me while my ride was eating my pay check before I even earned it. As for the picture requests, I suppose I can drag everything out tonight and get an album going so I can do a before-during-after work log.

@ Sisk: Damn you! You are so damn active here, you have an 01, it's a two door, and your mod list looks A LOT like mine.... The only real difference is that you are making progress am I am not.
Now you challenge me to produce! I hate you for making me have to try again... but in a good way When all is said and done, my truck will be an awful lot like your truck's older fatter brother

Splash Guards: It rains a lot here. I get crud along my fenders from the tires kicking it up. When the Caramro rims go on, it will be worse due to width. Plus it changes the body lines changing up the look.
Cargo Basket: That beast was at my parents house (cut down the cost A LOT <-- FREE) but I wont get to pick it up until Thanksgiving.
Brush Guard: Yes i have it already. I will have to refinish it (undercoat yo!) and custom mount it because it came from a Honda Passport, and I dont know the brand so I can just order mounts... Hopefully it turns out well.
Skid Plate: This is my current projesct and will set the stage for how the rest of this plays out. If it tanks, so due my spirits, if it pans out ... well

I have a 300-style Spartan Shield sized slab of 3/16" thick aluminum (1.6-ish mm for you metric folk). The "composite" skid plate that is one my vehicle (read as: BS plastic piece) is pathetic and would probably have trouble standing up to a Black Lab, let alone off-roading. The older aluminum ones from the blaZeR2's wont fit due to width, so the next step is to hack one out and see how it turns out. I decided to go that route because after dumping the Gen 5 SS Bumper cover, I was left with the salvaged bumper I got off a burn vehicle. Because the chrome was ruined, I undercoated it and now with no air dam or valance you are staring at my oil filter and frame. This skid plate should dress up the front while making it look more agressive and add 15 hp and 84 fps Torque yo! (as I do not plan to put it on a dyno, I can not confirm nor deny potential gians)

I picked the collective brains of the forum and found that a plasma cutter and wishes are the best way to cut aluminum (couldn't have picked a worse medium to work with) so this might not get pounded out in one weekend, but we shall see...

As for the grille insert, here's a shot It was part of the truck when i bought it, along with all the euro lights, and the bumper cover.... pimping a 4WD AND he didn't bother to lower it. For Shame! Now I have a lot more to de-chrome

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-25-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:07 PM
BF Veteran

You can't post a build thread and not expect me to ask for results. I mean c'mon Curtis!! haha. That's why I didn't start my build thread for so long. I knew I'd have to keep going once I started. In all honesty though I'm really exciting to see where you will go with this. Can't wait to see the progress. I'm jealous you already have the safari rack and the brush guard. I want both really bad!!
And FYI - that pic you tried to post didn't work.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:12 PM
BF Veteran
Lightbulb

Get to know my truck. It's like taking her for a spin without my knowing, except you wont get the business end of a jack handle when you're done!

MY RPO CODES
AJ1 WINDOW TINTED DEEP, ALL EXCEPT W/S AND DRS
AV0 SEAT FRT BKT, DRIVER, RECL, 8 WAY ADJUSTER, POWER (just the wires )
AV3 SUN ROOF, ELECTRIC, REMOTE CLOSING (just the wires )
AV5 SEAT FRT BKT, HIGH BACK
AXP MULTI-PURPOSE VEHICLE (except underwater )
A31 WINDOW POWER OPERATED, ALL DOORS
B30 COVERING FLOOR CARPET (not any more...)
B84 MOLDING B/S EXTERIOR
C25 WIPER SYSTEM RR WINDOW, INTERMITTENT
C3T GVW RATING 5,350 LBS
C49 DEFOGGER RR WINDOW, ELECTRIC
C60 AIR CONDITIONER FRT, MAN CONTROLS (man controls! no sissies )
DAY MORAINE, OH, USA
DH6 MIRROR I/S FRT VAN LH & RH, SUNSHADE, ILLUM
DK2 MIRROR O/S LH & RH, REMOTE CONTROL, ELECTRIC, HEATED, COLOR
DK7 CONSOLE ROOF INTERIOR, CUSTOM
D55 CONSOLE FRT COMPT, FLOOR
EVA EVAP EMISSION REQUIREMENT
FF6 LH TORS BAR SPRING ADJ (E) (+1.5" now)
FF7 RH TORS BAR SPRING ADJ (F) (+1.5" now)
GU6 AXLE REAR 3.42 RATIO
G80 AXLE POSITRACTION LIMITED SLIP
JC1 BRAKE VAC POWER, 4 WHL DISC, 5,500 LBS
K18 REACTOR SYSTEM AIR INJECTION, ELECTRIC
K34 CRUISE CONTROL AUTOMATIC, ELECTRONIC
K60 GENERATOR 100 AMP (WEAK!)
L35 ENGINE GAS, 6 CYL, 4.3L, CPI, V6, 90 DEG, HO
M30 16623 P TRN M TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60-E, ELECTRONIC
NC1 16948 P EMS M EMISSION SYSTEM CALIFORNIA,
NG1 CERTIFICATION EMISSION, GEOGRAPHICALLY RESTRICTED
NP8 TRANSFER CASE ACTIVE, TWO SPEED, PUSH BUTTON CONTROL
N33 STEERING COLUMN TILT TYPE
N40 STEERING POWER, NON-VARIABLE RATIO
N90 WHEEL 15 X 7, ALUMINUM CAST, 4.75 INCH BOLT CIRCLE
QBF TIRE ALL P235/70R15 (<-- snicker)
RSA SEAT, 208, AUTO, PASSIVE
SLM SALES PROCESSING STOCK ORDERS
TB4 LIFT GATE (MANUAL)
T6I TRIM, INNER, ULTRA DELUXE, VAR. 2 (anyone know where the break down for what that means lives?)
UP0 RADIO AM/FM STEREO, CASS, CD, AUTO TONE (fixed)
UP8 AM/FM STEREO, INSTRUMENTATION
U16 TACHOMETER ENGINE
U73 ANTENNA FIXED, RADIO
U89 WIRING HARNESS CAR TRAILER
VXS VEHICLE COMPLETE
V54 LUGGAGE CARRIER ROOF, PAINTED
V73 VEHICLE STATEMENT USA/CANADA
XBF TIRE FRONT P235/70R15
Y88 SALES PACKAGE SUN & SOUND (<-- anyone know what that brings to the table?)
YB7 SPRING FRONT BASE EQUIPMENT.
YD3 AXLE (BASE EQUIP) FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATE
YD5 SPRING FRONT BASE EQUIPMENT
YD6 SPRING RR, BASE EQUIPMENT
ZBF TIRE SPARE P235/70R15
ZM8 ELECTRIC TAILGATE RELEASE/RR WINDOW DEFOGGER
ZQ3 DRIVER CONVENIENCE II
ZQ6 DRIVER CONVENIENCE III
ZW7 CHASSIS PREMIUM SMOOTH RIDE (<-- Would like to know what that is too)
ZY1 COLOR COMBINATION SOLID
1SC PACKAGE OPTION 03
1SZ DISCOUNT OPTION PACKAGE

39U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, DK ADRIATIC BLUE MET (02)
39U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, INDIGO MET (02)
92H TRIM COMBINATION CLOTH, PEWTER
92I INTERIOR TRIM SHALE/PEWTER I

6WH FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP
7WH FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP

Go Decode Yours!

Old 11-03-2009, 03:39 PM
BF Veteran

I remember that grille. I actually like it a lot, minus the chrome. Although I'm an anti-chrome person lol. I wouldnt mind having it in black though...

And nice list of codes . My buddy (Stitch17) works at the GM Dealership in town and has access to the GM systems. We looked up mine and his RPO's, but I never copied the list. Althought I can tell you I have a couple more. There are 2 RPO's for the Bose sound system I see missing in your list...

Old 11-03-2009, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran

yes that's true. But if I had had the Bose it would have slowed me down the time it would have taken to rip the factory amp out when everything else went into the trash when i upgrade my sound

Does your pal know what a premium smooth ride and a sun and sound package entail?

As far as the grill goes, i dont know if i'm going to black it out or go gun metal on it. If i do my wheels up black outer/gun metal inner, then I will do the light bezels and grille gun meatal to keep the color scheme flowing, finish my de-chrome goals, and make the truck look more off-roady. If I go black, I will probably go gloss black to keep it from blending into the skid plate/bumper/grill guard which will all be under coated

Last edited by ABN31B; 11-03-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:53 PM
BF Veteran

You'd have to ask him that lol. he pops into the forum every once and a while. He is Stitch17 if you want to look him up and send him a note. I'll ask him when I get home tonight too.
I think gun metal might look good. Make sure the rims are the same color though as you said.

Quick Reply: Project: Ripcord