Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Sleeper Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 04:00 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Noooooooooo..... that sucks to hear.. hope it's not too serious...

Old 04-09-2020, 09:27 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ChuckNTruck
Well a sad day for me. I was working on idle tuning and heard what sounded like a belt slip squeal. My oil pressure dropped from 40psi at idle to 20psi with no explanation and now the engine has a tap that sounds deep in the motor. The only thing i can find is that the supercharger was pulling a ton of vacuum on the crankcase with the current PCV setup.
I'm going to drain the oil to check for glitter and it looks like i'm tearing at least the top end of this engine off to see whats going on. I'm hoping for something simple, but also thinking that squeal i head may have been a bearing and this bottom end might be smoked. If it is a bearing it could also just be a result of the previous life of this motor with a damaged camshaft finally catching up with me.
Step one of any engine rebuilt after mechanical damage, replace those bearings ASAP. Hope she's all ok but man that sounds bad.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:37 PM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

Uhhhhh.....Oops
I think i found one of the problems. had some bearing issues on 2 rockers.
The rocker, support, valve stem and retainer are all damaged. There is enough glitter just under the valve cover that im going to pull the engine.
Hard to tell from the picture, but there is some metal missing from the titanium retainer.
This does not explain the squeal and loss of oil pressure, but does explain the tap. Im thinking that lifter may have rotated on the cam and that is the squeal i heard.

Luckly i found a LQ9 6.0 engine locally for a good price. So im just going to cam and valve spring swap that one and run it with the supercharger.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:51 AM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Uhhhhh.....Oops
I think i found one of the problems. had some bearing issues on 2 rockers.
The rocker, support, valve stem and retainer are all damaged. There is enough glitter just under the valve cover that im going to pull the engine.
Hard to tell from the picture, but there is some metal missing from the titanium retainer.
This does not explain the squeal and loss of oil pressure, but does explain the tap. Im thinking that lifter may have rotated on the cam and that is the squeal i heard.

Luckly i found a LQ9 6.0 engine locally for a good price. So im just going to cam and valve spring swap that one and run it with the supercharger.

Damn.. Atleast the project will still move forward, that truck is super clean and it would suck to see it kicked off.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:44 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

For the intercooler. Is there a way to fit it into the hood? Then rise the hood and add ram air ducting.

Another means to cool the charge air that comes to my mind would be an air-water intercooler. That could solve a lot of plumbing and airflow problems. Just add a bigger radiator, or better fans.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by error_401
For the intercooler. Is there a way to fit it into the hood? Then rise the hood and add ram air ducting.

Another means to cool the charge air that comes to my mind would be an air-water intercooler. That could solve a lot of plumbing and airflow problems. Just add a bigger radiator, or better fans.
Definitely no room under the hood.
The biggest issue for me is that i want to keep this blazer looking stock, so i don't want much showing. I could just cut the grill up and make it fit, but then it would be obvious.
Where its mounted right now it only hangs below the air dam about 1-2 in, so its very hidden and still can get a bit of air.

I think im going to try running it where i currently have it mounted and make a scoop to force air through the heat exchanger. I can also run 2x 5.5in fans if it doesn't keep cool enough.

Now i just need to get this thing back together. Just waiting on a bunch of parts now to reseal the new engine and install new cam and lifters.

Last edited by ChuckNTruck; 04-12-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:05 PM

Got the 5.3 oil drained and it came out like metallic brown paint. Ill have to tear this one down after i get the 6.0 installed.

Out with the old in with the newish. Shes a bit dirty, but everything looks great for an engine with 200k miles on it. Im going to replace the oil pump and timing set along with the cam an lifters while i have it torn down.

My wonderful parts buffet. The camshaft in the picture is the stock 6.0 so im not concerned about it sitting on the table unprotected

Old 04-15-2020, 03:19 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mods
Damn.. Atleast the project will still move forward, that truck is super clean and it would suck to see it kicked off.
I'm sure that ChunkNTruck is way past the point of not fixing this vehicle (whatever the cost might be). I'm sure he knows what I mean. Notice that he has managed to turned this breakdown into an improvement with the 6.0 LS engine. Makes all the work and expense a little easier to swallow!

Seems I missed the upgrading of the heads on the 5.3. Will they work properly on a 6.0? This thing should fly! REALLY a unique vehicle. Should be very proud! Better strengthen up that rear end and get some Caltracks/radial slicks for it.

You have probably done the research. ChuckNTruck what kind of power do you expect to make? What will total weight be?

This build is reminiscent of the newer ultra high performance Cadillacs.

Les

Old 04-15-2020, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
I'm sure that ChunkNTruck is way past the point of not fixing this vehicle (whatever the cost might be). I'm sure he knows what I mean. Notice that he has managed to turned this breakdown into an improvement with the 6.0 LS engine. Makes all the work and expense a little easier to swallow!

Seems I missed the upgrading of the heads on the 5.3. Will they work properly on a 6.0? This thing should fly! REALLY a unique vehicle. Should be very proud! Better strengthen up that rear end and get some Caltracks/radial slicks for it.

You have probably done the research. ChuckNTruck what kind of power do you expect to make? What will total weight be?

This build is reminiscent of the newer ultra high performance Cadillacs.

Les
HAHA yep im way past the point of dumping this project. working on it is also my stress relief.
As far as the heads go, if i was staying N/A i could run the PRC ported heads. But with the supercharger it will have way more compression than i want to run boosted.
The PRC heads have about a 60cc chamber with the work done to them while the stock 6.0 317 heads have a 71-72cc chamber. This 6.0 is the high output LQ9 with flat top pistons and with the stock heads is already a 10:1 compression engine. if i remember correctly, the PRC heads would put me around 11 or 11.5:1 compression. The 317 heads will flow more than enough for my needs and already have 2.00in/1.55ex valves stock.
For the rear diff, i already swapped in the detroit truetrac and i currently have a set of Yukon hardened 30 spline axles sitting in my garage. Im hoping that will be enough given that its a 8.5, but i guess only time will tell.

Ive been looking into a set of caltracs with split mono drop leaf spring and i already have a set of Mickey Thompson ET street pros that i used for drag racing, but they may become a daily street tire with the new setup. Shes a bit fat at 3800lbs with me in it, but with this replacement engine im hoping to be around 550-600hp to the wheels so she should move.

I think im going to keep the 5.3 and rebuild it as a spare engine. I can get it bored to be a 5.7, build it with forged internals and would be a fun spare engine if this 6.0 gives out in the future.

Last edited by ChuckNTruck; 04-15-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:36 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

HAHA yep im way past the point of dumping this project. working on it is also my stress relief.
As far as the heads go, if i was staying N/A i could run the PRC ported heads. But with the supercharger it will have way more compression than i want to run boosted.
The PRC heads have about a 60cc chamber with the work done to them while the stock 6.0 317 heads have a 71-72cc chamber. This 6.0 is the high output LQ9 with flat top pistons and with the stock heads is already a 10:1 compression engine. if i remember correctly, the PRC heads would put me around 11 or 11.5:1 compression. The 317 heads will flow more than enough for my needs and already have 2.00in/1.55ex valves stock.
For the rear diff, i already swapped in the detroit truetrac and i currently have a set of Yukon hardened 30 spline axles sitting in my garage. Im hoping that will be enough given that its a 8.5, but i guess only time will tell.

Ive been looking into a set of caltracs with split mono drop leaf spring and i already have a set of Mickey Thompson ET street pros that i used for drag racing, but they may become a daily street tire with the new setup. Shes a bit fat at 3800lbs with me in it, but with this replacement engine im hoping to be around 550-600hp to the wheels so she should move.

I think im going to keep the 5.3 and rebuild it as a spare engine. I can get it bored to be a 5.7, build it with forged internals and would be a fun spare engine if this 6.0 gives out in the future.
Gotcha! I predict a 10.60 ET @ 128 mph if you can hook it up and keep the rear end under it (I couldn't with my 8.5 in S10 at 430RWH - but that is with real slicks & trans brake). That's faster than mine and it looks stock! Still I think you will spin horribly on those tires. Of course if you do more than drag race with it you may not care!

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-15-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Project Sleeper Blazer