Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Sleeper Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 09:58 AM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Excellent! It's hooking very nicely. Very good 60', 1/8 mile ..... right on track for 11.2 ET. Is boost level adjustable? What tires? Was track prepped for race, or just a Test and Tune?

Here is my S10 for comparison. At 3200# with me and fuel so don't need quite as much horsepower. I finally managed to squeak into the 10's this year. Note that your 60' time was even better than mine! And you even have windshield wipers!!

If you want to bracket race, slow it down to 11.5 and you won't need to put a roll bar or cage in it.
because of my current pulley setup the boost level is not adjustable. I may look into running a separate belt and pulley setup down the road to have some adjustability. But for now this thing has more than enough power for me. especially since i dont have a cage or even a driveshaft loop at the moment.
I may end up putting a simple 6 point cage in it with swing out/removable door bars just so i can be legal and run it in brackets without letting off. I think i can get it into the 10s with its current setup on a better day. That day the temps were 90-95 outside with high humidity so the track was hot and i was having trouble keeping all of my temps down while beating on it.

As to the tires and track,
Im currently running M/T ET Street Radials in a 255/60R15 size. https://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thomps.../3553/10002/-1
The track was supposed to be prepped, but this was just a street legal car night and the prep was not good. In the right lane i spun through first gear every time and was running 11.9s and in the left lane i only hooked hard about 20% of the time and i had to get it perfectly lined up to the "prepped" surface.

I reached out to Calvert racing to see about adjustable shocks because the website does not show anything for the blazers like it does for the pickups although they should be the same.
Im also looking into these tires that are a bit wider and have a bit less tread to widen the contact patch https://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thomps...3754X/10002/-1

Old 06-19-2020, 01:35 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ChuckNTruck
because of my current pulley setup the boost level is not adjustable. I may look into running a separate belt and pulley setup down the road to have some adjustability. But for now this thing has more than enough power for me. especially since i dont have a cage or even a driveshaft loop at the moment.
I may end up putting a simple 6 point cage in it with swing out/removable door bars just so i can be legal and run it in brackets without letting off. I think i can get it into the 10s with its current setup on a better day. That day the temps were 90-95 outside with high humidity so the track was hot and i was having trouble keeping all of my temps down while beating on it.

As to the tires and track,
Im currently running M/T ET Street Radials in a 255/60R15 size. https://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thomps.../3553/10002/-1
The track was supposed to be prepped, but this was just a street legal car night and the prep was not good. In the right lane i spun through first gear every time and was running 11.9s and in the left lane i only hooked hard about 20% of the time and i had to get it perfectly lined up to the "prepped" surface.

I reached out to Calvert racing to see about adjustable shocks because the website does not show anything for the blazers like it does for the pickups although they should be the same.
Im also looking into these tires that are a bit wider and have a bit less tread to widen the contact patch https://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thomps...3754X/10002/-1
Problem with cages in Blazers/S10s is that they have to be welded to the frame to be legal and the front body mounts are right in the way of getting this done. Only the unibody stuff gets to bolt the bars to the floor. But a cage will stiffen your chassis up a lot.

Sounds like you will probably be solidly in the 10s with just a proper track prep if you are sometimes spinning - sometimes not. At sub-11 sec then you will need a racing harness, 6 or 8-point roll bar with door bar, SFI helmet, SFI flywheel, fire extinguisher, racing jacket, driveshaft loop, and c-clip eliminators as well to be legal at a sanctioned event. Add a full cage and SFI balancer if you go 10.5. Of course if you only take it to one track, they tend to have their own focus on the rules. Ours seems to have 2 sets of rules. One for guys chasing points who can go on to regionals, and then the rest is more relaxed. Guess they don't want to have a points guy from their track team fail tech at regionals - doesn't look good.

Honestly the install of the roll bar with door bar is when my S10 was no longer driven on the street. Doesn't sound like this is what you really want (at least not originally) - but in reality that's what happened to me as well. But if you do want to get into racing a bit more seriously and want to stay legal at the times you are running, then you have some safety upgrades to do.

Any case this is a VERY cool project!!

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-19-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:11 PM

One more step in the direction i want.
I picked up a S&W mild steel cage that is designed for blazers so i can maintain my rear seat. I also picked up 2 sets of Rhodes racing swing out bar setups so i can remove my door bars completely when im not racing.
Now i just have to find a good shop to finish the fabrication and weld the cage in.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:20 AM

There you go!! Getting all serious about racing!!!

When you find someone to do the install, have a conversation with them about meeting NHRA/IHRA specs for the cage. I occasionally have my door bars questioned for them not being high enough and the fabrication is a pretty expensive and work-intensive endeavor if you want to end up with any upholstery and stock interior.

On S10s because of narrow frame, the main hoop sits on plates on the floor and short bars are welded on an angle from the main hoop over to the frame. I see no reason for a Blazer to be different. You can measure your hoop width and compare to your frame width.

Typically the front is done by welding outriggers from the frame over to the body and the cage sits on that.

Good luck and best wishes. Keep us posted!

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-24-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:56 PM

I finally got a video of a 1/4 mile pass in the little sleeper.

But i have an appointment in about a week to have my cage installed.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:20 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Awesome!!! Racing a stang?

Old 08-10-2020, 08:17 AM

Nice! What was the time/MPH

Old 08-10-2020, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Nice! What was the time/MPH
That one was 11.26 @113MPH.
I was running my cutouts capped and full exhaust through a single 3in tailpipe. I also lifted/coasted a bit towards the end trying not to break 11.5 but I also didn't want the mustang to beat me. haha I got a warning to slow down for that one.
The tech inspection guy was awesome and I talked with him for a bit when he told me to slow down. Now I know exactly what they will look for when I come back and what they don't look too far into for the rules.

Last edited by ChuckNTruck; 08-10-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:09 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

That's awesome. Nice run!

Old 08-13-2020, 07:36 PM

The next step toward the cage install, I got the interior gutted.

Quick Reply: Project Sleeper Blazer