Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Pulling the 400 outta my 77 blaze, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 PM
CaliBlaze is on a distinguished road
Default Pulling the 400 outta my 77 blaze, any tips?

Whats up guys, so im new to the site and was kickin around the idea of pulling the motor outta my blazer because its got a a couple of gasket leaks along with alotta caked on dirt...wanted to see if anyone had any tips on taken it out whether it be things to look out for..thanks for help..

Old 02-03-2010, 11:12 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

not really. if this is your first motor. you couldnt do it on a easier vehicle. the only thing i usually like to do if possible. is pull the engine and trans together. its a pain to try to get the engine to slide back on the mounts and line up on the trans. disconnect the power steering pump from the block and pull it to the side, that way you dont have to mess wit those hoses. just disconnect everything that needs to be disconnected and pull it on out

Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 PM

I did a crx 1.5 lt motor swap years ago with my pops kinda helpin me through it so im kinda familiar with the do's and donts and have a crap-load of tools the engine mount and hoist..im hesitant bout it but i know it needs to be done.A buddy of mine who has a 75 with a 400 told me the valve guide seals or something like that are notorious for going bad and that i have oil leaking down into a cylinder..given me this blackish blue smoke comin out the right pipe whenever i give it throttle not to mention a slight ticking noise that i believe is a loose valve on the right side as well..id rather take the long reliable road then the shortcut and be stuck with a blown head or something..ill probably start within next couple of days...also think i need a carb rebuild kit since i cant start it without pourin a lil gas in it...

Old 02-04-2010, 05:12 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

it sounds more like you're asking for a guide to rebuilding your engine, not tips on how to pull it. is that what you're after, rebuilding the engine tips?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM

no im just trying to make sure there arent any hidden snags or issues that ill gettin binded up with before i start pulling it out but for right now its on hold my girl wants me to rebuild my zilla engine, lol..so she can ride but since you asked what gaskets and seals should i replace once i pull the motor out.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CaliBlaze
no im just trying to make sure there arent any hidden snags or issues that ill gettin binded up with before i start pulling it out but for right now its on hold my girl wants me to rebuild my zilla engine, lol..so she can ride but since you asked what gaskets and seals should i replace once i pull the motor out.
all depends on what you want to spend and how board you get. i usually just replace anything that is leaking for my offroad trucks. if this is gonna be a nice daily driver wouldnt hurt to do them all.

its up to you. again you have so much room under the hood of that thing you can pretty much replace everything with them in the truck... check the rear main seal thats probably the one that will be a pain while its in the truck

but nah nothing hidden. just the 6 trans bolts, fuel, electrical. steering lines, and engine mounts. i usually pull the distributor, radiator and carb too just to be on the safe side

Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

unlike all the crap found on anything built after the very early '80's, you've got one of the easiest Blazer's to work on.

the best thing you can do when pulling the engine, make good notes on all the vacuum lines, try and get your hands on a good diagram manual for the electrical & vacuum lines.