Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   re-modding the jimmy (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/re-modding-jimmy-51415/)

g_mike 11-10-2010 07:04 PM

re-modding the jimmy

hey guys,
well im in the process of fixing my 02 jimmy 2dr and modding it, after unmodding it a couple years ago.
it useto have a 2" drop, 20" rims with matching rear mounted spare and a system...then it was stock for a while now im back at it.
just picked up some stock 15" 2wd offset rims for $100 getting them mounted and balanced this week or next week, and im looking for a bush guard thats black (or chrome i dont care much), i would prefer used and im going to put on a wench and some more lights.
i have 8000k low beams and 6000k fogs, led map and dome lights. i think thats about it
well heres the new-ish rims, they r really dirty but in good enough shape, i think im going to paint them black.
let me know what you think!!

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...1110-00117.jpg
stock height but with the rims, this was when the parts were being sold slowly to bring it back to stock.
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y.../jimmydubs.jpg

and heres my sonoma....may she rest in peaces... got ran over when it was parked....
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y..._noma2dubs.jpg

ill get some more pics as soon as i get these wheels on.

84BlazerS10 11-10-2010 07:51 PM

Sounds good, any future plans?

g_mike 11-10-2010 08:25 PM

thanks, future plans are bush guard, wench , thinking about painting the grillcraft grill black and putting it back on(the one in the pic with my old rims) maybe fender flares, and im thinking about painting the whole truck black, i wanted a black one to start off with but i found this one, almost got a zr2 but got outbid.
im looking forward to these new rims. but im also considering some new tires for them, i want something aggressive looking but that are winter snowflake stamped.

oktain 11-11-2010 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by g_mike (Post 377930)
i want something aggressive looking but that are winter snowflake stamped.

Look at the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors... I have a set on my truck, they're snowflake stamped and I LOVE them.

Also, if you get stuck Goodyear's road hazard includes free tows.

Maybe leave the machined face "machined" but paint the dark grey black. I'm not a fan of all black stock rims.

g_mike 11-11-2010 09:37 PM

well i just changed the sway bar links on the front, one snapped in half when we were taking it off, the other came off but looked very ruff, the bushings were just starting to crack, but they were also very worn as hey were getting a little loose too. it drives a little stiffer now, and i only spent $24 on them with tax, they are by nascar which is by Moog. this had to be the easiest repair i have ever had to do on a car.
rims are getting mounted tomorrow or Saturday, depends on when i get a call and am told they have spare time (free is key) so i doubt that ill get the rims painted by then so ill probably just leave them as is.
also noticed my wheel bearing hum a little yesterday, considering one was changed last year this isnt a surprise that its starting to go.
i think pushbar and flood lights on it are next once i find one.
also gonna get some new shocks, they are on sale and will run about $40 each for Monroe sensatracks..anyone use these before? how are they compared to stocks or KYB? i saw some KYB on ebay that were fairly cheap.

g_mike 11-12-2010 03:40 PM

got the back 2 tires mounted, the fronts are being done tomorrow... im going to probably pass on the painting because im too lazy, unless i paint them while they are on the car lol.
i didnt notice how much my front tint had faded, i once got pulled over because the cop said it looked darker than the backs....well not anymore.
heres a pic from the back and the side.

eddit sorrypics got moved...i was tryin to sort abbums...
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...1113-00131.jpghttp://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...1113-00130.jpg
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...1112-00125.jpg

zedartwo 11-12-2010 04:40 PM

Are you keeping the rims that are on it in the pic. The stock Jimmy ones. I wouldn't mind another set for winters/gnarlier tires.

g_mike 11-12-2010 04:51 PM

probably gonna hold on to them for now just incase i decide to do anything with them. i did come across a set of 16" 2wd rims, im waiting on a pic but i have a feeling they are zq8 rims, if they are ill b putting them up for sale.

what is there for power mods on this beast?
anyone else getting a amazing 330km to a tank?

b1heqh54 11-12-2010 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by g_mike (Post 378433)
anyone else getting a amazing 330km to a tank?

Ouch - I get around 450km/60litres or about 17.5 mpg but I've got 33" tires so I presume others do better still.

jackdough 11-12-2010 06:34 PM

lol ya 330 is rough. i get around 500 with 31" tires. there is a bunch of free little mods you can find around this site, but your pretty much looking at the more expensive stuff to get any seat of the pants power out of these. im looking into a pcm tune, supposed to be a huge improvement

g_mike 11-12-2010 08:52 PM

this is insane!!
my jimmy has always had crap gas mileage since i got it 5 yrs ago, my friend borrowed it once to deliver wine and filled the tank back and said he would rather fill the back seat of his acura and his trunk because the gas was more than double lol.
taller tires will give better highway mpg but less in the city generally but tire tread plays a factor as well, im on snow tires, but not too aggressive to the point of loosing a large amount of gas mileage.
ive run fuel system cleaners, use syn oil, and all that maintenance crap but nothing helps.

what are these cheap and free mods? got any links??
i know a few for my caddy like my stock airbox hack to a CAI with cone filter and tb bypass.

b1heqh54 11-12-2010 09:04 PM

The biggest boost to mileage that I ever realized was from cleaning my MAF sensor. It was pretty dramatic, but it had around 185K kms on it and it had never been looked at before. In fact the PCM threw a MAF sensor out of range code that got my attention. I was in about the same sort of mileage range as you I suppose come to think of it. It ran like crap but I never really noticed how bad it had gotten until I cleaned the sensor with some methyl hydrate (denatured alchohol) and a toothbrush.

I also recently descreened my MAF and deshrouded my throttle butterfly, but I won't get into that here! LOL (It did get me another 5% on the last tank and a whole lot better throttle response, but the mileage could've been due to just about anything really.)

g_mike 11-13-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by b1heqh54 (Post 378500)
The biggest boost to mileage that I ever realized was from cleaning my MAF sensor. It was pretty dramatic, but it had around 185K kms on it and it had never been looked at before. In fact the PCM threw a MAF sensor out of range code that got my attention. I was in about the same sort of mileage range as you I suppose come to think of it. It ran like crap but I never really noticed how bad it had gotten until I cleaned the sensor with some methyl hydrate (denatured alchohol) and a toothbrush.

I also recently descreened my MAF and deshrouded my throttle butterfly, but I won't get into that here! LOL (It did get me another 5% on the last tank and a whole lot better throttle response, but the mileage could've been due to just about anything really.)

ya i actually saw your thread on your build, including the maf.
ive heard both sides to the maf mod over the years, some say its amazing, some say its nothing.
i dont want to damage mine so ill take a look at it but i dont think ill be pullin the screen out..ill go clean it now actually.
last 2 rims are getting mounted in a couple hrs, cant wait to see how this thing drives with a wider stance, its wobbily as hell!!

oktain 11-13-2010 11:37 AM

Depends on the driving you're doing... all in town and stop and go I'd get about 330 to 400 a tank... strictly highway driving I'd get over 570.

Get your hands on a CAI, a catback (replacing muffler or getting a true cat-back... don't get muffler shop "kinked" piping, you're not gaining anything except noise.) and a PCM tune... you'll pick up NOTICEABLE gains and fuel mileage at the same time.

g_mike 11-13-2010 04:34 PM

all the wheels are on and to be honest, it drives much better, i cant believe GM made this thing with such a skinny wheel base to begin with. i dont think im going to even need to replace the shocks now but we will see how it goes over the next week or so.

as for the gas mileage, i just got 314km to 56 L of gas, i dont know what that works out to but its horrible. (just filled up to the top)
didnt get around to doing anything else to it today...maybe tomorrow.

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...1113-00131.jpg
http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/y...1113-00130.jpg

b1heqh54 11-13-2010 04:40 PM

I like, I like. :icon_hyper:

84BlazerS10 11-14-2010 11:27 AM

Yeah, I have no idea why they put such skinny tires on the blazer series mine drove much better when I got my new tires. I still don't get the 17-24 mpg mine was estimated at either.
btw, is that a diamond white Cadillac cts in your signature?

g_mike 11-14-2010 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10 (Post 378811)
Yeah, I have no idea why they put such skinny tires on the blazer series mine drove much better when I got my new tires. I still don't get the 17-24 mpg mine was estimated at either.
btw, is that a diamond white Cadillac cts in your signature?

ya the estimated mpg is bull...

yup thats my CTS, she only comes out in the summer, just gettin ready to put her back in storage...hate this time of year!:icon_no:
some of the pics of the truck you can actually see the CTS next to it. its got a couple mods on it, the headlight eyelids i actually designed and a couple guys on the CTS forum have asked me for them but they have to be made while on the car so i didnt, but i did made a set for one of my friends.

oktain 11-14-2010 05:01 PM

Nice CTS, and I think rear spacers are in order for the Jimmy? lol.

Did you ever consider lids for the tails on the CTS? Might look neat.

g_mike 11-14-2010 08:00 PM

the back wheels stick out a little and i was going to get spacers and not the 2wd rims but i really dont like spacers unless they are hubcentric because they dont always line up right. also i just dont know who to trust with a quality product, i would want to find a tool and dye shop to custom make them then hammer in oem GM wheel studs or from a reputable parts store. i just dont like cheap parts that can affect vehicle safety.

lids on the caddy tails? do you mean tinted covers? lots of guys use night shades or have bodyshops mix clear and black to make a translucent tint paint...to be honest night shades is good for small things but large you see flaws and i had a big issue trying to tint a spare light with the black cracking.
also i like my caddy tails red, and the 3dr brake light is stupid expensive to replace if it was damaged ($900 not kidding...mine burnt out and i rebuilt it with leds and my walk through has saved a lot of cts guys a lot of money and only cost $20)
lol anyway this isnt my CTS build thread, and i dont know if that would be allowed in here lol.

i saw a few theads on led swap for the dash cluster on the jimmys... is it really just pull the cluster our and the bulb twists out? i have tonnes of leds kicking around, i actually switched all the map lights for led a couple weeks ago.

b1heqh54 11-14-2010 08:10 PM

Twist, pull and replace.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/P8030019.jpg

g_mike 11-14-2010 08:16 PM

do the climate controls swap the bulbs the same way?
i noticed i have a burnt out floor bulb on the drive side....im assuming there was one in there. anyone know the bulb type off hand?

b1heqh54 11-14-2010 08:22 PM

Most of the controls need to be soldered with resistors. I put links to sources and full pics of each mod in my build thread if you're looking. 194's will work in the footwells, but the actual bulb has the same base with a larger bulb.

g_mike 11-14-2010 08:36 PM

ya thats a little more effort than i want to do, ill stick with the pull and replace bulbs like the 194s.

b1heqh54 11-14-2010 08:45 PM

HVAC controls are twist and pull #37's too.

84BlazerS10 11-14-2010 10:56 PM

Nice cts btw, and I'm digging that interior shot.

g_mike 11-15-2010 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10 (Post 378977)
Nice cts btw, and I'm digging that interior shot.

thanks, im assuming you clicked the sig pic and are talking about my bright LED's. they are insanely bright. each bulb is 12 led's on a circuit board. i think they are actually called ULED. ive also got led tail light bulbs, 3rd brake light, map lights, door lights and DRL's. basically almost every bulb has been swapped to LED or HID except the high beams because i never use them lol.
you will also see a few of my other mods in the photobucket.. the throttle body coolant bypass and the hacked airbox, also my headlight eyelids are on there too.

84BlazerS10 11-15-2010 06:46 PM

Yeah, those are nice I'm also digging b1heqh54's interior shot. I've been looking at eventually repainting my Blazer and the diamond white is one of the colors I've been kinda looking at.

g_mike 11-15-2010 06:53 PM

i hope you have a good paint hookup...its the most expensive factory paint GM uses..
its a Tri-coat paint and apparently its very hard to get the pearl done right, if its too thick or too thin the color changes. i was getting quotes of $300 just to paint my bran new stock grill white.
i eventually found someone who was a friend of a friend that did it for $120, but he said that just the paint cost him a little over 100.
i would love to see a white diamond jimmy though, that would be sick!!!

84BlazerS10 11-17-2010 04:52 PM

Yeah, It's a very expensive color but it does look nice. Just something to look at as a future goal for now.

g_mike 12-13-2010 10:14 PM

ok guys...whats the next mod i should be doing???
i want to get projector fogs, but i also wasn a bullbar, i have to ask my bro in law where it came from but he paid 300ish new and i wouldnt mind mounting some hid lights on it.
i still got to get around to doing the dash cluster lights, maybe ill work on it this week, but im stuck in project colorado offroad roof lights tomorrow.( you will see a thread on that too.)

also something i could really use a hand on....the wind took my door and bend the hing , i thought that thing was going to fly off but it didnt thankfully.
so anyone in GTA that knows how to weld and also knows how to remove and reattach the door? i want to takt the toor off bang thr hinge back in about 1mm then tack weld it on as good as possible...
im gettin wicked bad air noise in my truck.

g_mike 12-21-2010 10:13 AM

just took out those 8000k HID lows and put in some 5000k. the 8k really seemed too blue and not enough light output in comparison to my other hids in both cars.
the 5k is nice because the color looks almost stock so i highly doubt i would get harassed about them, even though i never did with the 8k.
i think for all my future hid ill be sticking with 6k, it looks nicer and seems to have the same light output as 5k, or very close anyway, and i like how it makes the lines on the road glow bluish, really helps when its raining at night. i still have 6k fogs so ill just pop those badboys on when needed.
still want to have projectors, if i can find a spare headlight housing i may experiment and fab one up.

zedartwo 12-21-2010 12:13 PM

If you do end up fabing some projectors up, I will buy your old ones off you. My ebay $1 fog light bulb broke the housing of my passenger side.
You'll be glad your not around here anymore. Theres a Jimmy rolling around with the frontclip painted hot pink with a pink pair of sandals about 4 feet long across the door. They have bright pink HID's that are really annoying.

g_mike 12-21-2010 01:25 PM

im going to assume that jimmy is for some sort of marketing...probably a tanning salon or something like that.

the bulb broke your housings? how is that even possible?

zedartwo 12-21-2010 03:02 PM

I don't know. No lettering on it. A young chubby girl drives it.

As for the light I don't know I think it may have gotten caught on the bumper while pulling it out. The only thing I care about is that my lights were absolutely mint. They looked brand new and no moisture what-so-ever. Now with the open hole its starting to get some droplets on the lens.

g_mike 12-21-2010 09:53 PM

well if you decide to replace it ill take the foggy one. ill have to bake it and remove the lens anyway.
im keepin a eye out for a spare set.
i still cant believe there are no aftermarket brojector housings for the jimmy but there are for the Blazer

zedartwo 12-22-2010 10:03 AM

I know. Every LMC catalog I get I look. I would even settle for cleared which I know is possible to do but I'm not demoing my only set lol

You could always grab a set of envoy ones which use HID already. Not the best looking but its something I've only seen in magazines.

old skool luvr 12-22-2010 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by g_mike (Post 387024)
so anyone in GTA that knows how to weld and also knows how to remove and reattach the door? i want to takt the toor off bang thr hinge back in about 1mm then tack weld it on as good as possible...
im gettin wicked bad air noise in my truck.

where exactly are you Mike? (send me a PM & details)

Originally Posted by zedartwo (Post 389582)
I know. Every LMC catalog I get I look. I would even settle for cleared which I know is possible to do but I'm not demoing my only set lol

You could always grab a set of envoy ones which use HID already. Not the best looking but its something I've only seen in magazines.

there are 2 (or was it 3?) Envoy's sitting up @ CAC as of yesterday. and i'm pretty sure the ballast, etc, are still sitting in the trucks as well.

g_mike 01-24-2011 08:46 PM

hey guys, i thought i would update my build.
well apparently i am currently the high bidder on a CAI for this truck and i dont even remember bidding on it LMAO.
apparently i was on ebay after workin 3-12hrs shifts.....
so the auction ends in a day or 2 then i pay for this intake i didnt mean to buy then it shows up probably 2 weeks before the truck is off the road for summer.
dont worry ill post pics :)
also im going to be doing all the bushings, tie rods, in the front end this summer, as well as probably replacing the struts. so if there isnt a how to ill be sure to take lots of pics and put a thread together.
the caddy is getting new suspension first, just ordered eibachs for her.

zedartwo 01-24-2011 09:29 PM

Nice. CAI don't work well in winter anyways lol. But glad to see your still keepin on with it. Its been cold in these parts the last few days so hopefully your inside lol.

Keep it up!