Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

re-modding the jimmy

Old 11-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Starting Member
g_mike is on a distinguished road
Default re-modding the jimmy

hey guys,
well im in the process of fixing my 02 jimmy 2dr and modding it, after unmodding it a couple years ago.
it useto have a 2" drop, 20" rims with matching rear mounted spare and a system...then it was stock for a while now im back at it.
just picked up some stock 15" 2wd offset rims for $100 getting them mounted and balanced this week or next week, and im looking for a bush guard thats black (or chrome i dont care much), i would prefer used and im going to put on a wench and some more lights.
i have 8000k low beams and 6000k fogs, led map and dome lights. i think thats about it
well heres the new-ish rims, they r really dirty but in good enough shape, i think im going to paint them black.
let me know what you think!!

stock height but with the rims, this was when the parts were being sold slowly to bring it back to stock.

and heres my sonoma....may she rest in peaces... got ran over when it was parked....

ill get some more pics as soon as i get these wheels on.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:51 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Sounds good, any future plans?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Starting Member

thanks, future plans are bush guard, wench , thinking about painting the grillcraft grill black and putting it back on(the one in the pic with my old rims) maybe fender flares, and im thinking about painting the whole truck black, i wanted a black one to start off with but i found this one, almost got a zr2 but got outbid.
im looking forward to these new rims. but im also considering some new tires for them, i want something aggressive looking but that are winter snowflake stamped.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by g_mike
i want something aggressive looking but that are winter snowflake stamped.
Look at the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors... I have a set on my truck, they're snowflake stamped and I LOVE them.

Also, if you get stuck Goodyear's road hazard includes free tows.

Maybe leave the machined face "machined" but paint the dark grey black. I'm not a fan of all black stock rims.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Starting Member

well i just changed the sway bar links on the front, one snapped in half when we were taking it off, the other came off but looked very ruff, the bushings were just starting to crack, but they were also very worn as hey were getting a little loose too. it drives a little stiffer now, and i only spent $24 on them with tax, they are by nascar which is by Moog. this had to be the easiest repair i have ever had to do on a car.
rims are getting mounted tomorrow or Saturday, depends on when i get a call and am told they have spare time (free is key) so i doubt that ill get the rims painted by then so ill probably just leave them as is.
also noticed my wheel bearing hum a little yesterday, considering one was changed last year this isnt a surprise that its starting to go.
i think pushbar and flood lights on it are next once i find one.
also gonna get some new shocks, they are on sale and will run about $40 each for Monroe sensatracks..anyone use these before? how are they compared to stocks or KYB? i saw some KYB on ebay that were fairly cheap.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Starting Member

got the back 2 tires mounted, the fronts are being done tomorrow... im going to probably pass on the painting because im too lazy, unless i paint them while they are on the car lol.
i didnt notice how much my front tint had faded, i once got pulled over because the cop said it looked darker than the backs....well not anymore.
heres a pic from the back and the side.

eddit sorrypics got moved...i was tryin to sort abbums...

Last edited by g_mike; 12-13-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:40 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Are you keeping the rims that are on it in the pic. The stock Jimmy ones. I wouldn't mind another set for winters/gnarlier tires.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Starting Member

probably gonna hold on to them for now just incase i decide to do anything with them. i did come across a set of 16" 2wd rims, im waiting on a pic but i have a feeling they are zq8 rims, if they are ill b putting them up for sale.

what is there for power mods on this beast?
anyone else getting a amazing 330km to a tank?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 PM
b1heqh54 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by g_mike
anyone else getting a amazing 330km to a tank?
Ouch - I get around 450km/60litres or about 17.5 mpg but I've got 33" tires so I presume others do better still.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Starting Member
jackdough is an unknown quantity at this point

lol ya 330 is rough. i get around 500 with 31" tires. there is a bunch of free little mods you can find around this site, but your pretty much looking at the more expensive stuff to get any seat of the pants power out of these. im looking into a pcm tune, supposed to be a huge improvement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: re-modding the jimmy