Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

So It Starts! - 1970 Chevelle Resto

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: So It Starts! - 1970 Chevelle Resto

The disassembly is the quick part... I don't have to spend any money! It's once I get into cutting off rusted metal and sourcing the replacement parts that I may not be able to work as quickly as I want to. This weekend will probably be the removal of the engine/transmission, but I think I may work at disassembling the dash to get a better picture of what it looks like on the inside of the firewall. Once I'm down to sheetmetal inside, out comes the power washer to get everything as clean as possible.

I found some replacement cowl sides from Original Parts Group for $55 each so that should make things easier. I have to call them first and verify what exactly it is they're selling, but from the description I think it is everything that I need. The Paddock has a complete floor pan with rockers for $900. Considering that all of the other places I've checked have the complete floor without rockers for $850, that's only another $50 for both rockers completely welded on and EPD primer. The rockers definitely need replacing.

When we removed the doors, I found the passenger side to be quite bad. The whole front corner was rotted out. I didn't remember to snap pictures of it, but would be a pain to repair. The driver side door isn't all that bad, but does have rot in it. Most likely, this can be repaired and the door re-skinned.

We'll see...

Old 07-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Still, not bad. Ive had a lot worse projects.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

All of the rot at the bottom of the cowl sides was caused by a previous repair (before I purchased it) where they filled that entire cavity with tin foil to build off of for glassing the fender! Quick and dirty! Geez...

But yeah, I may have to fab up a patch panel for below the door hinges.

Also, I pulled off the trim on the passenger side and there are some pin holes at the bottom of the A-pillar. Not all that bad, but more stuff to patch in.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Administrator

heck, that thing has lest rust than my 92 blazer did. but i do hate how some hacks do repair work!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Well, I have some more pictures, but I haven't uploaded them to photobucket yet. My cousin and I did more work on tearing the interior out of it. Still have a few bolts that were giving us fits on the seat belts, but for the most part all I have left to do is the dash inside.

Anyway, I found out what this car looked like originally. The paint code is 45 which is green mist. It originally came with a dark green vinyl top which I will not be going back to. This picture here is what I might do... Not a typical color to choose which what makes me like it even more.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

I like that colour, Kyle. I think it will look great.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:54 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

awesome project!
Keep us updated from time to time on the progress and we all like pics.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Administrator

love the color bro. I got some friends that deal PPG and Dupont, so, let me know!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:17 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

oooooh I like the green!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

im envious of your project old cars are so much fun i just found out though that i might be getting an old international dump truck it has the wood stake bed on it and if i remember correctly a split front window my dad is going to bring it down to phoenix maybe from minnesota so i can have at it the best part is that it runs and drives and everything its so cool

Quick Reply: So It Starts! - 1970 Chevelle Resto