Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

TBI V8 Conversion HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 PM
2fit661ca is on a distinguished road
Default TBI V8 Conversion HELP!!!

I appologize for asking a question that has been asked a millon times, but my 89 Blazer's 4.3 is on it's last leg, so it's about time I begin my V8 swap. My first question, I have a chance to get a 350 TBI for cheap along with everything needed to make it run. (It's still in the 93 Suburban, and I'm buying the whole thing) Do I need to swap the whole wireing harness? or just the computer? or anypart of the electrical system? My Blazer and the Suburban both uses the same Throttle Body, and Coil and stuff.

My second, I was told that I need to hammer in part of the firewall to get the 350 to fit... even thought the rear demisons are the same as a 4.3. Is this true?

Third. With a serpentine setup, minus the fan, will the motor clear the stock radiator position?

and Fourth. Do I need to purchase special motor mounts for the swap? or do the stock Suburban engine side mounts fit the stock Blazer frame side?

I would have searched the forum for all of this, but I havn't quite figured out the search yet, and there is ALOT to filter.

THANKS

2fit

Old 06-26-2010, 07:18 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Do a web search on Jags that run, they have a complete S10 V8 Swap manual that should answer all your questions. You can get the manual used off of ebay for a little less money. I have not done the swap but I have browsed the manual on the JTR website and it seems very thourough. I also know that there are some on this forum that has tackled this without any manual at all. From what I have read you will need to re-locate motor moun mount, I f you want to keep your A/C you will most likely need electric fan. If you want it to ride right you might have to beef up the suspension. It is not just a direct drop in from my research.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:17 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

There is many choices for you im sure. Ive seen blazers with V8s with the mechanical fan on them... Those guys relocate the radiator I think. They also cant pop the distributor out without moving the engine cause the mounts make it sit against the firewall.

My S10 had the forward mounted engine and electric fans and the rad was in the stock position. I was able to take the distributor out with the engine still in the truck. Mine had aftermarket motor mounts and a peice added to the trans mount as well.

I havent heard of anyone having to hammer a firewall, dont to that. You also need a special set of headers that curl around your steering shaft, and it wouldnt hurt to wrap them with that ceramic heat tape stuff before installing.

I will be doing the same thing to mine in the future, I want to fix the mechanical and cosmetic things first. As for the wiring, I cant help you with that. Keep on reading through these forums, you will never run out of links and info to keep reading.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:00 PM
2fit661ca is on a distinguished road

[quote=ohsofly;341199] You also need a special set of headers that curl around your steering shaft, and it wouldnt hurt to wrap them with that ceramic heat tape stuff before installing.[quote]

My Blazer is a 4X4 and I plan on keeping it that way. Do you know of any headers for that swap? or do I need to buy the kit to build my own? I cannot find 4x4 V8 headers anywhere.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:55 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough