Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

What to do...? Opinions / Thoughts Wanted

Old 02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
xformers is on a distinguished road
Default What to do...? Opinions / Thoughts Wanted

I'm new here, but have read a variety of messages (here) over the past several months and think there are a number of people here, who's opinions / thoughts would be GREAT to have... Please (anyone) chime in...

Ideas, options, problems, etc. are all welcome.

I recently aquired a 1998 Blazer, 4x4, 4Door. Body is shot (banged up beyond repair), drivetrain "intact", but in need of a rebuild. This was fine, since the price was cheap and the purpose of this, did not require the body.

i.e., I like what I see / read about the Blazer's engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc. and want to use it "under" a different body. Probably something from the late 40's to mid - late 60's. i.e., it will be titled in that "era".

BUT... I wanted the more "modern" engine, drivetrain, etc.

Now... Now that I have it and it needs to be "rebuilt" (which was expected), I am somewhat unsure what direction to head in.

Keep things "stock" (with minor engine mods)... all the sensors, the EL60e trans, transfer, etc.???

OR...

Backtrack a bit and build up a new / old V6, no sensors, change out the trans & transfer case to something "older" (but new/rebuilt - i.e. a 700R4, or something) and have a "basic" automatic, 4WD "chasis" to use?

So I guess the real question is, or opinion wanted is... Are the "advancements" of the chasis / running gear on the 98 Blazer worth keeping... Or... would you think the "older" would be just as good?

Cost factors "appear" to be similar... I can replace the engine and re-use manifolds, etc. (probably replace all sensors, etc. so they are new), or replace the engine and get new manifold, carb, etc., etc....and forget about sensors, etc. (since it can be titled as a 40's - 60's vehicle) I can have the EL60e rebuilt, or purchase a new/rebuild 700R4 for "similar" pricing... Same for transfer case...

I hope this is "clear" <G>

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas, etc.

John

Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

It sounds like you have a good idea what you want to do already , its your project . If I was you I would just start doing what you want and when you run into a specific problem ask for help / ideas then . Do you have the new body you want to put on the blazer frame ? Sounds like a cool idea though .

Old 02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a lot of work, but anything is possible. if you want modern guts under an old body i would stick with all the stock blazer stuff. the 4L60E is a nice tranny and the 4.3 is also a nice engine. you can do many thing to it while you have it out performance wise also. if you want to be in touch with the car a little more then you can always ditch the 4L60E automatic tranny and go with a 5 speed manual out of another blazer (fairly easy swap)

Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

Just an opinion : If you're working with a Blazer frame, you might as well keep it Blazer parts, at the very least it will save you time and troubles. Other wise it's all custom and maybe you could find a better starting point? You should be able to find all kinds of kits for a 98.

I really like my 97, and plan to keep it going as long as possible. Once I found out enough about how the engine and sensors run, It's been easy to keep going, and I have decent gas mileage back (for it's size and weight, of course there are cars way better).

An OBD-II reader for the PC has always given me good info. I recently got a bluetooth one that works with PC and smartphones for $100, well worth it. And from what I've heard, 98s have even more info to report. I like having some info to point me in the right direction when there is a problem, yet it's not full of sensors to keep checking all the time.

Just started with suspension, no complaints there so far. Easy to work on. Starting with all new bushings. I want at 2" lift, but look into issues with CVs wearing out faster!

Auto trans needs seals, but otherwise running fine at 175K miles. I haven't really taken it easy on it Front diff needs work though.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by atvwarrior View Post
It sounds like you have a good idea what you want to do already , its your project . If I was you I would just start doing what you want and when you run into a specific problem ask for help / ideas then . Do you have the new body you want to put on the blazer frame ? Sounds like a cool idea though .
To the degree that I know I want to use the "Chevy Blazer" chasis, running gear, etc, yes... I know what I want to do. The rest is up in the air.

I'm just finishing a total re-do, frame-off, of a 48 ****** Jeep... Jeep frame and body, Chevy 283, shoe-horned in. I "had" to opt for the Jeep's manual & transfer case, mostly due to space (length) considerations. I could have gone with other items, but would have required a lot more modifications than I really wanted to do, on that build.

This one... If I could afford it... I'd buy a new 2012, rip the body off and put on what I am thinking about. Start with new, out of the box, most modern technology and put on it, the "look" I want. Not realistic, as much as I might like otherwise. <G>

The 98 is a "compromize" and either direction I go... keep essentially stock, or go new-old style drivetrain, I need to rebuild / replace basic parts. I am leaning towards the 98 components though...

Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer View Post
Sounds like a lot of work, but anything is possible. if you want modern guts under an old body i would stick with all the stock blazer stuff. the 4L60E is a nice tranny and the 4.3 is also a nice engine. you can do many thing to it while you have it out performance wise also. if you want to be in touch with the car a little more then you can always ditch the 4L60E automatic tranny and go with a 5 speed manual out of another blazer (fairly easy swap)
"A lot of work" is probably a bit of an understatement. <G>

Rebuilding / replacing what is there (with some mods) is, in many ways, the easiest... Parts come off, cleaned / replaced, parts go back on. Some of the parts I just don't know... never having worked on much of anything newer than a 73, so I guess some of this is simply "fear factor".

I do like Chuck's comment about the OBDII giving "info"... makes things a bit easier to accept and equally important, your comment about the EL60e... One of "my" likes with that is that the EL60 is a good step up through the Chevy automatic series... TH350, 700R4...etc. Nothing I have read about it has been "bad". ...And yes, I do want this to have an automatic trans.

I'll spend a few days looking around for what the engine can have done, in it's "current" configuration.

Thanks

John

Old 02-07-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chuk Rhodes View Post
Just an opinion : If you're working with a Blazer frame, you might as well keep it Blazer parts, at the very least it will save you time and troubles. Other wise it's all custom and maybe you could find a better starting point? You should be able to find all kinds of kits for a 98.
The advantage and disadvantage this has is that GM/Chevy was reasonably "smart" over the years... Many things work across many, many years. In this case, it means I could "easily" go with old items, since they will (generally) bolt up to the same locations as the new. Which only makes, making the decision, a bit more difficult. <G>

I really like my 97, and plan to keep it going as long as possible. Once I found out enough about how the engine and sensors run, It's been easy to keep going, and I have decent gas mileage back (for it's size and weight, of course there are cars way better).
As I said elsewhere, some of this decision process is because I do not know the sensors, etc. A bit of "fear" is in whether I can learn them well enough, etc. I'm used to working on "older" cars... Do I see gas going down the carb throat? Am I zapped if I hold the plug wires? Gas and spark present, it will generally run... may need a tweek, or two, here or there, but it will do something. Sensors add a whole different set of possibilities...

An OBD-II reader for the PC has always given me good info. I recently got a bluetooth one that works with PC and smartphones for $100, well worth it. And from what I've heard, 98s have even more info to report. I like having some info to point me in the right direction when there is a problem, yet it's not full of sensors to keep checking all the time.
Just what I needed to hear!! Thanks!! <G> This I can do and knowing it actually works, is great. <G>

Just started with suspension, no complaints there so far. Easy to work on. Starting with all new bushings. I want at 2" lift, but look into issues with CVs wearing out faster!
Sounds like you are having fun too!! <G> Yes... I will be addressing similar things, in the not too distant future... Though, slightly different desires than you may have.

Maybe a little lift here... not sure yet. "Firmer" suspension, without question. I want the 4wd, but know, this project will not go off-road... at least, not on anything stressful. The Jeep I'm finishing will handle that part of things.

This project will be more towards having a solid drivetrain that handles well, and that I do not have to spend a lot of time on, week, after, week... with a body that is different.

Auto trans needs seals, but otherwise running fine at 175K miles. I haven't really taken it easy on it Front diff needs work though.
There is always something!!! Thanks for your thoughts and good luck with you items!!

John

Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

With the code reader and a decent manual, there should be no fear. You get a code, read it, look it up in the manual, and you have a whole checklist of things to look at. There is a lot of info here that helps too.

Mine was a great commuter vehicle for the 10 years I've owned it. One job had me out on service roads, not too rough, but 4x4 was needed with street tires. Did hit the bottom more than once, so I want that little bit more clearance down there. But want to keep it handling decent on the road too.

Yours sounds fun too, can't wait to see pics!