The Chop Shop This section is for display of photo editing work, and requests for photo editing, sigs and avatars, etc.

Can Someone Make a Wheel Swap Tutorial?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Idriveachevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Someone Make a Wheel Swap Tutorial?

Well I know that I dont know how to swap wheels on PS and I think its a good thing to be able to do, I was wondering if someone could make a quick tutorial on how to do it.

- steve

Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Starting Member
curse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Can Someone Make a Wheel Swap Tutorial?

Swap wheels as in rims or whole wheels? either way its the same steps. Theres many different ways to do it, but this is my way. which seems to work for me for over 10 years now.

This is using Photoshop CS2, doesnt matter just a FYI

1)
Make sure the object you are workin on is a bigger picture, you can always shrink a big picture but not the other way around.
make sure both the wheel picture and the original is good quality, well lit pictures and clean. and at good angles, you definitly want a strait wheel pictures thats aimed right at the center, no angles. If your car is at a angle no worries you can fix that but you definitly want a clean wheel with no angles.

2)open up both the wheels picture and the car picture, and go to the wheel picture
3)grab your elyptical marquee tool, its most likely a dotted square right now all you do is click and hold and click on the circle.
4) make a new layer, do this by clicking the paper icon right by the trashcan under the layers tab, make sure the new layer is ontop of the wheel layer.
5) make a circle with the circle marquee tool, do yout best to match the wheel. Do not worry if its not dead on.
6)you should now have a weird blinking invisible circle, press ctrl+backspace to fill it in.
go to edit>free transform. use this tool to perfectly match the wheel.
7) now that you have the wheel "highlighted" hold ctrl and click on the new layer, you will see the circle blink again. with the circle blinking click the wheel layer and press ctrl+c.

8) minimize that picture and go to the car picture, press ctrl +v you probably will have to minimize the new wheel, do this with free transform and try to match the same size with the old wheels unless you are wanting bigger wheels.

this is the basic way to do it, more complicated ways would be using the polygonal lasso tool(my way). your new wheel might be too bright or too dark, you can fix this by going to image adjustments levels and or brightness/contrast.

Again for a real great job its more complicated, this is the basic, conceptual way to do it. if you really want a detail tutorial with pictures and stuff i can do it later tonight.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Idriveachevy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i know how to put the wheels on a new layer and select just the wheel, but how do i change the angle of the wheel, like in a 3/4 shot of a car?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet is to find a source image for the wheel that is as close as possible to the angle of the picture you're looking to put it in. Otherwise you can use the Distort, Perspective, and Warp tools under Free Transform to get it as close as possible.