Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

Cleaning 100 Spoke rims?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 PM
ChicagoBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cleaning 100 Spoke rims?

Ok so I have some 100 spoke 20's and they are turning brown from either my rusted brakes or from rusting themselves. [:@] Does anyone have an good tips on how to clean these bad boys and to prevent them from getting like this again? Cleaner and tool advice would be appreciated.

PEACE

Old 02-21-2007, 12:39 AM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cleaning 100 Spoke rims?

You need a wheel and tire brush. Preferrably a nylon or similar soft fibered brush, do not use wire or abrasive brushes. About, 90% of the tire and wheel cleaners on the market are going to work for you, it may take repeated use to see a noticeable difference. Personally, I like Simple Green for cleaning rust, tar, road grime, bugs, and brake dust. That and a brush should take care of your wheels. If it doesn't then you need to let us know and we can point you in another direction.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:58 AM
ChicagoBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard good things about Bleech White.What do you think of that product?

Ill get one of those brushes and some cleaner and try it out this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:56 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Bleache white is good for white wall tires, if its heavy brake dust you can use brake cleaner to get the heavy stuff off, then just soap and water unless you are comfortable and experienced enough to use wheel acid.

Being they are spokes I would remove then wheel and tire from the vehicle to be able to clean em better.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 AM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gotta agree with Detroit, its good for white walls. I'd try one of these from any auto parts store:

Eagle One Wheel Cleaner: Chrome & Wire (don't use if those spokes have any gold on them, it's for chrome only) for about $7.

Meguiars Wheel Cleaner: Hot Rims Cool Care All Wheel Cleaner (this stuff clings to everything it touches, so scrub and rinse well) for about $6.

Then, I would polish and seal them up with a good metal polish or wax such as this:

Mothers Waxes: Chrome Polish (specifically for chrome) for about $4.

Mothers Waxes Polishing Pad: Powerball Mini with 10" Extension (this might help you get in all the grooves a little better) for about $20.

Just a few suggestions to help you look in the right direction for products to use.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:20 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Bleache White is also good for black wall's I use it all the time to keep my tires looking black not brown. If your getting alot of brake dust build up on them i would really try CLR. The stuff you use for you bathroom to remove calcium, it worked wonders on my 20's on my impala ss. I've used it on many different types of wheels without having negative results.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

Achem... two words...

Power....

Washer.

heheh.... its how i watched my neighbor do it... he'd use a soapy solution and blow them clean as a whistle.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:26 PM
jerbou71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does any of you guys remimber Eagle Ones two stage wire wheel cleaner that used to be for sale back in the 90's? I can't find it any were, it was the best. You would spray the acid on it and wait 30 seconds and then rinse off and then spray on the neutralizer and wait about 2 minuetes and then rinse. The best cleaner ever.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Boopappa is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a wire wheel cleaner. Any rim shop, such as pro-tint, cool cars, smart shoppers, etc.... would have this. You can also search ebay or amazon to see if it is on there. This would be your best bet since it is made for them. Wires are hard to keep clean, you may also want to consider looking into getting brake dust sheilds that go behind your rims (made for your size rims). They are awesome for keeping brake dust off. Use semi-mettalic pads as well (less brake dust, a lot less).

Just be careful what you put on your rims, so it dont eat the chrome off.