Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

Getting the skudge off??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:10 PM
AuSSenseiter is on a distinguished road
Default Getting the skudge off??

Today I went out give mommas blazer a good wash down and hit a brick wall. There is a thick layer of skudge thats nearly impossible to break through and I need help. The truck has been sitting for the past 6 years and has not been washed in all that time so all the pollen, dust, and crap have built up. Regular washing didnt do the trick so I left a soppy wet rag on one spot for 15 minutes. After going back to the rag I still had to use alot of elbow grease to break through the mess. I thought of using a green scrubby pad but that idea was shot down as soon as I saw deep swirly marks from where someone already tried.
The truck is black so I'm afraid that anything too harsh will being glaringly obvious like a bruise on an albino.
Any ideas?

Old 11-19-2011, 04:53 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

I think I have Hispanic albino kids in my neighborhood o.O

What is Skudge?

You can try hitting up a local dealership and see if they have commercial soaps for sale.Or maybe the local parts store will have it too.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
I think I have Hispanic albino kids in my neighborhood o.O

What is Skudge?

You can try hitting up a local dealership and see if they have commercial soaps for sale.Or maybe the local parts store will have it too.
Lol, hispanic albino.

Skudge is a nasty film that builds up over time. Think of not cleaning your toilet for 6 months and you get the idea. Only on a toilet (being sealed porclen) you can brush the film or skudge away easily enough. On a vehicle, skudge involves tree sap, pollen, animal & insect poo, dust, and anything else you can think of thats not good for a cars paint as well as appearance. It can be avoided by regular washings and general upkeep. In the case of my truck, not being washed for 6 years and being in a dusty enviroment, the skudge has built up and hardened to the point that can only be described as trying to take the white off rice.

I've tried regular car wash with the above results. I am kinda leary of trying commercial soaps as most of them have to be diluted to the point they are like regular soap or they can "burn" the paint (not good on black paint).

Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

try using a clay bar, it is made to take off substances that have bonded to the paint's surface or are other wise hard to remove ( it took paint over spray off mine)

Last edited by Zanders; 11-19-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:04 AM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AuSSenseiter
Lol, hispanic albino.
The bad thing is I'm totally serious. I honestly think they are albino... I've only seen them recently. I reckon because of the sun not being as harsh...

Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Starting Member
Moores12345 is on a distinguished road

Automotive thinners or G3 compound will take it off.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Dang.. the generational gap and loss of knowledge!!!!!

Charcoal lighter fluid. SERIOUS!
Try it on a place you wont worry about. You'll see. You'l have to soap wash after and rewax but it works great and is same thing but cheaper than 'Tar Remover'

Old 11-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Pettyfog, thats the beauty of this forum. Helps shorten the gap and I'm here to learn (and maybe give a little advise).
Charcoal fluid, huh? Seems to me I remember using regular lighter fluid to polish brass in the Marine Corps. so this just might work. One question though, should I be smoking while trying this? lol.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:21 PM
schollianmj is on a distinguished road

definately be smoking. it makes it come off quicker.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:22 PM

By coming off quicker, do you mean the skudge or my eyebrows? lol.

Quick Reply: Getting the skudge off??