Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

Looking for tip - wax residue removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for tip - wax residue removal

Hey All,

I'm curious if anyone has a tip for removing wax residue from the door handles of these Blazers/trucks? Any product that you've had good results with? I suppose the rest of the body trim would be the same, but I really don't have much of the white-ish residue anywhere aside from the door handles.

Actually, I'd love to replace the sotckers with the chrome overlays for a different look, but it seemed those were kind of expensive, so in the mean-time, I'd like to get my OE handles looking as good as they can.

Thanks for any tips or guidance you care to share!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Meguiar's Back-to-Black!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Back to Black is good, but I find it doesn't last very long and ends up turning plastic white over time. Just my personal experience though.
I like using ICE wax on trim and black pieces. It works really well.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, I wrote Meguiars, but meant Mothers. I had to go look at the bottle in the garage over lunch. It didn't sound right when I typed it... They both make a similar stuff, but like you experienced Sisk, the Meguiars can end up white again if the part is oxidized. The Meguiars stuff doesn't clean as well as the Mothers product.

ICE will remove wax buildup, but it doesn't do much by way of removing the oxidation that causes the rubber itself to fade. It will freshen up the surface though.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:51 PM

So the Mother's will actually CLEAN the residue itself??? I had planned on applying it once I got the handles clean, but was not aware that it would remove the 'white' itself.

I might look into the ICE Stuff mentioned. I don't want to add to the whitening problem, for sure. I have the Mother's in the garage now, so maybe if I'm not pleased with how it turns out I'll try the other.

Thanks for the responses!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I love Mothers products. Like Sisk and Kyle stated Back to Black works best.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Peco is an unknown quantity at this point

All those products will wash away after awhile. They just "cover" the residue. What you want to is get some Purple Power (50/50 with water), Simple Green or any APC (All Purpose Cleaner) and a small brush (Old toothbrush works good). Spray the product on the handle or brush and scrub the handle. This will remove the residue from the texture handle.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:07 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

use the clay bar that gets rid of wax residue very well and that is made by mothers as well

Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the tips! I won't get to the project this weekend, but will spend some time on it maybe next week. I'll post back with my results. I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:02 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

isopropyl alchohol (rubbing alcohol) will eat that wax off, just wet a rag with it. then use some dressing or tire shine to make it nice and black again.

Quick Reply: Looking for tip - wax residue removal