Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

2.8l Hop-up

Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

The LQ1 is a better breathing engine than any of the other 60*v6s offered during its time, and with minor timing work you can really get these motors woken up, even during testing time while the motor was in the works it was reported as having over 260hp! but got toned down for reliable use.... that could be the key words right there but i happen to know from owning one of these and having friends who have done all sorts of shtuff to their engine that these things can keep up with a newer GTP in a four door old school *** grand prix! i really should get a pic of his motor, hes on 60*v6.com as HayesPerformance. ask to see his GP engine. you will be amazed.

there are options for the motor and if you ask me its alot nicer of a looking engine than the other ones offered in its time, and even the L67 doesnt look near as good to me.

plus push rod engines have had their time havent they? do we still use underhead cams?? the LQ1 has a timing belt one that is a PITA to change but nonetheless its still there... i wouldnt say its a good motor for a 4x4 but for a street truck, it would be pretty sweet, plus in the engine bay of a S series you would atleast have the needed room to work on it if need be, good luck working on it in a fierro or any FWD application

Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Beginning Member
chevykid223 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I'll check it out when I can. Thanks for your help. Some new pics will be up by the end of the week, or you can check out Deviantart for pics of the engine. Search JazzyMan223 for the pics.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:32 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
The LQ1 is a better breathing engine than any of the other 60*v6s offered during its time, and with minor timing work you can really get these motors woken up, even during testing time while the motor was in the works it was reported as having over 260hp! but got toned down for reliable use.... that could be the key words right there but i happen to know from owning one of these and having friends who have done all sorts of shtuff to their engine that these things can keep up with a newer GTP in a four door old school *** grand prix! i really should get a pic of his motor, hes on 60*v6.com as HayesPerformance. ask to see his GP engine. you will be amazed.

there are options for the motor and if you ask me its alot nicer of a looking engine than the other ones offered in its time, and even the L67 doesnt look near as good to me.

plus push rod engines have had their time havent they? do we still use underhead cams?? the LQ1 has a timing belt one that is a PITA to change but nonetheless its still there... i wouldnt say its a good motor for a 4x4 but for a street truck, it would be pretty sweet, plus in the engine bay of a S series you would atleast have the needed room to work on it if need be, good luck working on it in a fierro or any FWD application

They had their place and time granted, but even GM dropped them because of the troublesome designs. I've been over on 60 degree for years and know who you are talking about. I'm still waiting on Brad to get finished with the 60 degree full race rustang over there.

My point still stands as its a FWD engine and would require many mods to fit in a 4x4 s-series. The starter is on the wrong side, the oil pan would have to be cut up so much to clear everything. Might as well do a 3x00 swap and figure out a way to bolt a m90 on the top of it. You can keep the bottom end but jump the HP way up there. Dropping a DOHC or a 3x00 is nothing I would suggest anybody but somebody with lots of mechanical skills under their belt to do.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

some guys LIKE a challenge though, and some people really LOVE that motor...

Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
some guys LIKE a challenge though, and some people really LOVE that motor...
I agree and normally I'm all for something like it for somebody that has the experience to pull it off and not wind up being a half completed truck on CL while the kid is stuck bumming rides and walking around.

More power to ya'll. The one I owned wound in a junkyard and you won't have to worry about me taking any more from you guys. We had less issues out of my uncles ford 427 sohc in his crappy rustang. I think I still have the tools to set the cams in the shop somewhere for that 3.4 dohc, they supposed to be getting hard to come by now if I understand right.