Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:47 PM
bmxrr1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 questions

When I dropped my motor off at the machine shop to get cleaned up and boared I started to talk to this old timer machinist and we talked about the Th-700 R4 and how you can make its convert lock up with a push button by running a simple set up of a wire going to a 4 pronged connector on the trany to the swith, to a positive 12v supply and a ground. Now my question is, is it true and possible to do that? because from what I thought was the 700 R4 had no electronics but I could be wrong.
2nd question
I am looking to put a 94 or 95 350 in to my 91 blazer 4x4, this will be my 1st big experience working with chevy V8's so consider me to know nothing cause I know only what people tell me then I check if its true. It is being boared .030 overand thats it. I am looking to have a compression ratio around 10.3 to 10.7 I have stock heads but fully dissasmble needing a valve cut what would be recomanded for best power from what I was told 2.020 int and 1.60 exh, a cam with 250adv effectice around 1200-6000rpm, egale or scat crank the$300 under ones not forged,cleavits bearingsI guess??,connecting rods something affordable yet strong??, pistonssilOlite????? something to make desired compression, rings total seal????.

Does that sound like it may work cause thats what I pieced together with the little knolwdge I have about 350s
Thanks for all the help guys
Bobby c

Old 02-22-2008, 10:53 AM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 2 questions

The 700R4 (4L60, same thing...) Has a lockup torque converter controlled by the computer. It will lock when the engine is above 104 degrees, trans in 4th gear, doing better than 45 mph, could be wrong on the speed, don't recall just off hand. It is possible to have a manual switch for it, but, why would you want to? Having it controlled by the computer is much preffered. (no forgetting to disengage when you are coming to a stop.....)

On the engine.... Are you planning to stay with fuel injection? Your compression ratio may be a bit high for use with Iron heads, and pump gas..... Some others are going to have to chime in on that one. What is your intended use? What kind of power are you looking for? Just as a general guideline..... Torque is what you want in a 4x4. The more the better, no such thing as too much... well, maybe..... Having a motor that developes most of its power in the upper rpm range is pretty much useless in a 4x4, unless you are doing mud bogs.....

Old 02-22-2008, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The converter will lock up at anything over 37MPH or so... Maybe even 30, even if you're in 3rd or even 2nd, sometimes...

At least, that's how it worked on the 4T60E... Shouldn't be THAT much different from the 4L60E....

Considering he's running two different tire sizes front and rear, I don't think he uses his 4x4...

Old 02-23-2008, 12:36 PM
bmxrr1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input I have bought new tires and forgotten to update that info. Yes im looking for torque, I had a 2 hour convo with some people and turns out a buddy of mine has just blown up his 350 and is looking for a block so im just going to be selling the block to him. He's buying it for 100 more then I bought it for so im making some prophit and Im probably going to just go junk yard shoping and find a running ls1 5.3 L and say screw it and drop that in put a mega squirt system on it and call it good to go, yes its not as intersting and special as building your own motor by hand and installing it but it will get the desired result which in the end you cant complain about it.
So thanks for the help guys
Bobby