Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

4.3 W engine to a regular 4 barrel carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3 W engine to a regular 4 barrel carburetor

Has anyone ever changed a 4.3 W engine to a regular 4 barrel carburetor and intake? Did you run into any difficult problems? My father had a 85 Chevy full size pickup that a 4.3 that came with a 4 barrel carburetor, it did pretty good.

You would also have to change out the distributor too, right? Does anyone know what power and gas mileage would be like?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your gas milage would probably suck going from injected to carbed. I wouldn't do it personaly but to each their own. I'm not sure about changing the distributor. I would assume yes. Power you might get a little more IF you dial in the carb just right but that's a BIG MIGHT. Here again I wouldn't give up the vortec but that's me.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 PM
zr2dan is on a distinguished road

edlebrock has intake and head kits for carbed 4.3 i hear you get some nice power gains but you loose mileage

Old 01-24-2011, 01:13 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yeah Edlebrock has a couple of intakes for the 4-3, and you don't need to swap heads. although you will maximize any power gains by using their heads.

but as said above, why the hell would you want to get rid of FI? unless you're planing on dropping it in a non-FI vehicle?

Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Starting Member

This was mentioned under another topic on this board, just wonder if anyone had done it, what results they had.

My 1st car was a 57 Chevy, 283 power pack, it had power, 220 HP, good gas mileage, 21 on the highway if you kept your foot out of the Rochester Quadra-Jet 4 barrel and stayed 70 MPH or below. My 92 S10 Blazer gets 22 to 23. I might add in 57 the 283 power pack would get better mileage on the highway than the 283 that came with the 2 barrel carburetors.

One advantage would be much easier to work on and would not have near as much that could go wrong with it, not having the computer and sensors, of course in states that do the smog test it would be a no no.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:56 PM

Well the nice thing about the computers (obd II atleast) you plug up a computer and can narrow down what's going on imediatly. Like I said I would never pull fuel injection to go to a carbed set up. I'm partial to the fuel injection and the way you can narrow down things a lot faster with the computers. But here again to each their own. Your truck you do what you will with it man. Now on another note an ex of mine had a 1st gen non vortec and he did this. In his situation we couldn't get the throttle body set up to run right so we just ripped it all out and put the eldebrock manifold and carb in and it ran beautifully after that. But that was 6 years ago so I don't really remember much about it.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 AM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty happy with my vin Z engine. I get the best of both worlds: lack of complication of a carburetor, not *too* many computers so it's not impossible to fix stuff when it breaks, and there's about 80 bazillion of the same model with the same engine and body style in my local salvage yard. It's a shade tree mechanic's paradise.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Starting Member

Yes, the obd II gives you much more information on where to look while the obd 1 doesn't.

As for carburetors, they're not that difficult. 1 generations Blazers are a thing of the past in ths country in the wrecking yards, they've all been crushed. In fact wrecking yards around this part of the country hardly keeps anything older than a 2000.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:57 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JustJerry
1 generations Blazers are a thing of the past in ths country in the wrecking yards, they've all been crushed. In fact wrecking yards around this part of the country hardly keeps anything older than a 2000.
since you never included your location in your posting info (upper right hand corner), i've gotta ask, where are you from?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM

I can't find 2nd gens down here in GA. But a lot of people part em out on CL they just don't go to wrecking uards very often. I'm not a big junkyard fan personaly unless your going for body panels or something you can't buy aftermarket.

Quick Reply: 4.3 W engine to a regular 4 barrel carburetor