Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

4.3L to 5.7L LS1 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3L to 5.7L LS1 Conversion

I do see alot of 1st generation S-10's and the associated literature for dropping a 5.7L into the engine bay. I have been interested in upgrading to a Corvette motor since my first Blazer (98'). I live in the high mountains in the NW corner of CT, where our backroads are low priority...so a car with some umph is totally out of the question. A truck is manditory! I love my Blazer, mainly for the fact that I am 6'7" and am able to fit comfortably, with 3 of my tall friends in tote. Plus, I do get a huge grin across my face when I pass stranded Jeeps in snowstorms!!! That being said...

Is it possible to keep my 4x4 and have the monster motor *have my cake and eat it too*?
What is needed to pull this engineering miracle off?

All of the websites that I have visited have shown me literature on how to convert 1st generation, and the 2nd generation up to 1996. I own a 2002, and I do realize that the 1996 is nearly identical to the 2002, but even is transfering to my 2002 from my 1998, I have seen major differences *the AWD system in my new one*, and I am sure suspension / tranny / engine accessories would be different.

I am at a point in my life where this dream could become a reality...any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Suspension is practically identical as are the constraints in the engine bay. The small feat will be in the engine management and getting everything to live happily with one another. There is a reason why most of this stuff stops around 96-97. In 98, the electronics got a lot more integrated into the rest of the truck.

Your best bet for a migraine free (note, not headache free) swap is an SCFI 5.7L engine out of a 98 and down truck. These trucks used a very similar fuel system. The change over requires additional wiring to the PCM for the 2 additional injectors, PCM reprogram to v8 code, as well as the mechanical changes to stuff that v8 under the hood.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:18 PM

...i can feel one coming on right now! Thanks for the imput...my research will be heading in a new direction. Now, that would be a SCFI out of the K trucks (suburban / tahoe / silverado)?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Correct.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:33 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...10-ls1ers.html

http://v8s10.org/

Lots of information contained in the links. The biggest benefit of going the L31 route is all your accessories will swap over. With the LS1, well, they won't.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 AM

It is killing me too...there is a C4 at the wrecking yard down the road. I noticed its arrival a few weeks ago *which sparked this interest once more*. Engine Compartment is intact. But, if the fuel system and accessories wont work with my Blazer, then I guess its a bust.