Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

'93 Engine Rebuild questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:29 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default '93 Engine Rebuild questions.

Heres the deal.
I bought a '93 S10-Blazer from a guy at work for $50. Everything works, however the engine has one heck of a knock. I drove the truck onto and off of the trailer. Even drove it into the garage. I figure it is a rod, or main bearing. I have a 4.3L engine that I have been told runs great. However I am uncertain of the year or even what truck it came from. It is a TBI/TPI engine though based on the intake. I also have a 4.3L bare block someone gave me, it has the internal balance shaft. I believe '93 was the first year of the interrnal balance shaft.

I am seriously debating my options. Rebuild the current engine, drop in the one I have laying around and swap fuel injections systems and sensors, or drop in a salvage yard special. Cost is my main concern.

the last engine I rebuilt was in shop class back in the late 70's. To say I am a little rusty is a huge understatment.

My current thought is to drop in the engine I have laying around, and swap on the fuel injection system and sensors from the '93. Then rebuild the '93 during the summer to help spread the costs out over a longer time. Then swap in the rebuilt engine back in. I don't mind doing the work myself, and taking the block and heads to a machine shop so they can do the stuff they have to do.

Looking for any help or opinions on this. I am not set on anything at the moment. So post up your thoughts.

Oh, I should add. I plan on giving the truck to my youngest son as a graduation present from high school. He will need a relieable rig for college, and the '87 he currently drives will become our off-road toy. Once I feel confident the '93 is dependable, the '87 will no longer be street legal.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: '93 Engine Rebuild questions.

I would stick to your plan, cause with the 93's knock, you might not know what you are getting yourself into. I had a 92 years ago, with a knock, thinking it was the main bearing, I tore into it, only to find that the internals had basically grenaded, and I was stuck.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:19 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is what I would do if I had your situation. Drop-in the used motor/parts to get it on the road running. Then rebuild the which ever engine you want to put back into the truck to give to your son. If you want to add more h/p then check out articles on how to increase it at Hot Rod Magazine.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e..._v6/index.html

Old 04-13-2006, 02:39 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.
I should know here real soon what is wrong with the engine. Looks like I will be pulling it this weekend.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:49 PM
BF Veteran

The only thing I pulled this weekend was a muscle in my lower back. I tried everything to get the engien to seperate from teh tranny. Acting like there is still a bolt holding them together. Thought I had them all. Once my back is fine, I'll have to crawl back under and take another look.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

hell, if you were closer, I'd swing over there and help you with that beast