Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

98 Blazer Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Beginning Member
Xter is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer Rebuild?

Ok so long story short, I have a 98 Blazer sitting in my yard with a bad transmission.

I want to rebuild the 4L60E in it. I have everything I can think I need so far,

Corvette Servo
Borg Warner Input Forward Sprag
The Beast Sunshell
TCI 5 Pinion Planetary Gears (The Rear and Front)
Raybesto's Z Pack
Transgo Valve Body Seperator
Sonnax Pinless Forward Accumulator Piston
TCI Kevlar Bands
Hughes Performance Basic Overhaul kit (All gaskets and seals only)

This is so far all I have come up with, I don't think I should need a new input shaft.

Why do I ask this and want to make this transmission stronger then a V6 could dream to put out stock?

Well in time I want to put a 5.7L V8 in it. I want to make the transmission as strong as I can now and maybe, huge maybe, later in time put a Supercharger on this for some track use. But I don't think I'll put a supercharger on it.

But one issue I have rebuilding it is when I first got this blazer, the guy I bought it off of somehow had an 87 transmission in this. I don't understand how but he did. Do I have computer work/wiring work? I got the right transmission in there so issues and everything hooked up perfectly fine.

When the first transmission blew (the 87) I replaced it with a 98 4L60E and that worked fine for a while till it blew. (I blame it on being from a junkyard, it was a daily driver then). The current 4L60E has nothing if I recall correctly. No Reverse, or drive in any gear.

And the 98 4L60E hooked up fine, no issues with it. Besides the usual issues of pulling and removing it.

I have no fear of rebuilding this transmission cause if I fail or feel uncomfortable at any point I have a local mechanic who I can only speak highly of to help and he has every tool I can think of needing plus I have access to a machine shop free cause its family owned and I work there with my father.

I just want to be sure I can have a good transmission in the end and not pissing away money to have a backup truck. I am fine with the 4.3L V6 atm and it works great. I think it's modded in the engine cause the thing would easily spin tires and has a lot more acceleration then my 2000 Blazer. Might be a placebo but I remember and I have a video somewhere on an old camera of that thing pushing through 70-100 easily unlike my 2000 Blazer which bogs down and takes a lot to get up once its 70+.

Well I guess I'm done rambling, thanks for reading my "little" thread questions and I really do appreciate the input.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Beginning Member
cardude59 is on a distinguished road

I say build it up. but bear this in mind---the v6 trans will not work on a v8. the bell housing and torque converter is different. in 87? they were using 700r4 transmissions-no electronics. if you have a working 4l60e, then build it and install the extra clutches and assorted goodies and enjoy it!!.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Beginning Member
Xter is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cardude59
I say build it up. but bear this in mind---the v6 trans will not work on a v8. the bell housing and torque converter is different. in 87? they were using 700r4 transmissions-no electronics. if you have a working 4l60e, then build it and install the extra clutches and assorted goodies and enjoy it!!.
Actually the 4.3l v6 shares the same bellhousing and torque converter as a SBC. The only thing it does not fit is newer ls1 and it's newer generation SBCs. But in 98 they put new bellhousing was changed to be interchangeable but the 60 degree bellhousing pattern was dropped so a bell housing swap is easy and fixes all 4l60e swaps with different engines. But it may or may not work with the ECU but if you do a full manual shift kit it won't matter as long as you don't mind shifting it yourself.

Unfortunately at this point I'll probably be putting it all in my 1987 camaro LT to trade out the stock 2.8 as I can't get what I want from the 2.8 and they both have shot transmissions. Built turbo4.3l v6 with built tranny, sounds like a fun ride to me!