Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

blazer 99 100k care

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 07:04 PM
shinclyde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default blazer 99 100k care

Hello, i´m new to this forum, i tried the search function but found no thread that could have recommendations for over 100k miles care.

Currently i´m running everything stock, busch platinum sparks, dexcool, etc. Your usual autozone kit, lol. I would like any recommendations to restore HP, performance, GPM, etc. I feel the regular 40/10 non syntetic oil is not good enough, maybe something heavier?

Thanks for reading

Old 05-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: blazer 99 100k care

Welcome!

The recommended oil is 5w30. I would NOT use 10w40 (if that's what you are referring to) or heavier oil. It is not necessary and the engine is not designed to use it. If you would like heavier oil, run 10w30, but do realize this. With a heavier oil than recommended, your mileage will suffer. Why do you want to use heavier oil?

If you haven't ever done a tune up, I would recommend one. Check your plugs for fouling and proper gap. Check your wires, cap and rotor for signs of wear. The wires can be checked with a spray bottle full of water at night. If you see sparks jumping out of the wires, replace them. The cap should have nice clean terminals inside and the rotor should not have any buildup on the tip. If either of these components show signs of carbon fouling, replace them both.

Other than that, a good throttle body and EGR valve cleaning wouldn't hurt a thing. To clean the EGR valve, you'll need some good carbon cleaner, an old tooth brush or metal pipe cleaner, and a new gasket. The throttle body can be removed, cleaned and reinstalled without any additional expense. Make sure to clean the IAC valve and passage in the throttle body.

If you haven't already done a cooling system service, you should flush the system and refill with your coolant of choice (red, green, pink, orange - lol). While you've got it open, replace your thermostat and radiator cap with new units.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:00 PM

Yeah, well, the engine oil being heavier is because when i accelerate the engine has a noise, like it needs servicing, so i been trying diferent oils syntetic, natural etc, but no luck in there (flushing in between changes) that´s why my concern, any thoughts?

Old 05-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Can you be more specific on the noise that it makes?

Also, I thought of some more things that are good preventative maintenance.

The fuel filter is fairly easy to change out and is inexpensive.

Changing the front and rear diff fluid, if never done before, wouldn't be a bad idea either. The diffs use 80w90 gear lube, but the 75w90 Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube will work just fine.

Transmission fluid probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:23 PM

Transmission fluid was changed last year

Diff hasn´t ever been changed

noise sounds like clack clack clack

last time i changed spark plugs i notice some oil in there, a little

Old 05-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Is the noise rpm dependant, throttle position dependant, both? It is possible that you have a collapsed lifter or worn cam lobe which a heavier oil really wouldn't help. Both would be throttle and load dependant. If you were to remove the valve covers, you may be able to see a loose rocker arm.

You say you have run flushes through. How long have you kept each of these flushes in?

Old 05-26-2006, 11:31 PM

when i change type of oil i flush it with a "flusher" from oreallys for 5 mins then i drain all oil and replace oil and filter. The sound is RPM dependant, found on old cars, i guess worn motors or something. I know i gotta open that motor up but was looking for a quick fix, i was gonna try additive on the oil but i heard they are useless.