2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

100k service / tuneup expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Ronald is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 100k service / tuneup expensive?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Blazers.

A friend of mine asked me if I could do the 100K service on his 2001 Blazer (V6) because he has heard that tune up is very expensive if you have it done by the dealer.

What's needed for that service besides replacing the fluids?
(motor oil, gearbox oil, flush brake circuit, coolant, oil filter, fuel filter, airfilter is what I'm thinking of)

I know how to work on cars, but don't have any experience on blazers, so if you could tell me some more about this tune up, it's appriciated

Old 04-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 100k service / tuneup expensive?

ORIGINAL: Ronald

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to Blazers.

A friend of mine asked me if I could do the 100K service on his 2001 Blazer (V6) because he has heard that tune up is very expensive if you have it done by the dealer.

What's needed for that service besides replacing the fluids?
(motor oil, gearbox oil, flush brake circuit, coolant, oil filter, fuel filter, airfilter is what I'm thinking of)

I know how to work on cars, but don't have any experience on blazers, so if you could tell me some more about this tune up, it's appriciated
Hey Ronald. Opinions on what to do and when with any car is somewhat subjective. The manufacturer has their recommendations and many other people with varying degrees of experience have theirs. I'm only mildly experienced, so i'll leave the opinions to those that have more but the list you've compiled is very comprehensive...missing only ignition compenents such as plugs and wires.

The rest can never hurt to do and will certainly prolong the vehicles life...but may benefit from inspection before simply changing them.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2008, 04:34 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

You're also going to want to do the axles. Taking off the differential covers, cleaning all the parts with brake cleaner, and refill. You might want to consider switch to synthetic! Also consider synthetic power steering fluid.

The biggest thing with the 100k mile service is that 100k is the service life of alot of parts. You might not need to replace them, but definitely a comprehensive inspection. Check your belt (probably just go ahead and replace it), PCV valve, EGR valve could be cleaned, inspect the brakes, rotors/calipers/pads, replace distributor cap and rotor, and you also will probably want to an induction cleaning (seafoam via vaccuum hose) to get 100k miles worth of carbon buildup out of the intake and engine.

I'm in the process of doing my 100k mile stuff, but doing it over the course of a few weekends. I priced out a whole list, total it'll be about $200, but mine includes new front rotors (mine are warped), and I don't have a coolant change because I just did one at 90k.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend a seafoam treatment. You can dribble it down through the throttle body, but remember to disconnect the MAF sensor first. Once you have done that, change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor (plugs only if the other stuff has been replaced recently) as well as do a motor oil/filter change.

As already mentioned, flush/change the engine coolant, change the thermostat, change the rad cap, change the diff fluids, transfer case fluid, transmission fluid/filter (install a drain plug so next time you only have to drain the pan), inspect the tires, rims, brake pads/rotors, brake flex lines for cracks, flush the brake fluid, flush the power steering fluid, inspect the steering components, ball joints, sway bar end links, shocks and grease the front end.