Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Cheap way to improve hp

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Cheap way to improve hp

go to Auto zone, there is an intake called a spectre, it is a modular system.buy a 11.5 inch filter,3" coupler, a 3' 60 degree elbow. The total should be around70 bucks. Intalled it should look like this: http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0224.jpg

Old 03-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No isolation from engine heat... The colder you can keep the incoming air, the more dense it will be, and the more efficient your engine will be. Having a cone air filter sucking in hot air is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran

Oh, sorry, my blazer has a scoop down belowthat ducts airto the front of the filter. It blastes air through the filter to cool it and give it more CFM.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What, did you cut a hole through the inner fender? It still is not as good as if it were isolated from the engine bay. I bet you would see a noticable decrease in your IAT readings if you were to enclose the filter in some kind of housing and duct air into it from either in front of the radiator or underneith away from any engine bay heat.

*EDIT* - Oh and Euro, could you resize that pic down to around 640x480 to help those members without highspeed and/or huge monitors?

Old 03-29-2007, 07:12 PM
BF Veteran

cut a hole? NEVER. I just unclipped the fender housing and run the 3' duct between the rubber and the frame and sealed it with another peice of rubber that was cut to fita nd it clips into the holes that are already there.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:56 AM
BobTheBlazer will become famous soon enough

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

unless your planning on doing major engine mods.....its not worth the money. Use the saved cash to buy a vehicle meant for speed.
I agree. Besides, you only need so much HP to go where you gotta go, any more and you'll just wrap it around a tree. Also, more HP costs more money in gas.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:27 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: BobTheBlazer

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

unless your planning on doing major engine mods.....its not worth the money. Use the saved cash to buy a vehicle meant for speed.
I agree. Besides, you only need so much HP to go where you gotta go, any more and you'll just wrap it around a tree. Also, more HP costs more money in gas.
Depends on how much more HP, lol
Generally, you get at least a little bit better fuel mileage when you up the power... Until a certain point, at least... The engine doesn't have to work as hard, so you press the throttle less kind of thing...

Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 AM
throttlesteer is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm surprised no one has said electric cooling fan. I've had the best results in the past when going from the stock fan run off the water pump to an electric fan. You can buy a kit setup for it at Advance Auto Parts. Hayden is the manufacturer and you can preset the fan to whatever temperature you want it to come on at and everything.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

You can do it a whole lot cheaper by getting a Ford Taurus fan... but it's a lot more work, most likely than any of the kits out there... Though, from what I hear, the Taurus fan sucks way more air than any of the kits...

Old 04-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

The second gen Intrepid fan is good as well.

One thing to note with this modification is that it doesn't make the engine produce more HP, it frees up lost HP due to the fan. However with the advent of the viscous fan clutch, the gains have gotten much smaller.

If you have a medium to large stereo system in your truck, you'll want to make sure that your alternator is up to the task of running the stereo and the new fan setup. These fans soak up a lot of power.

Quick Reply: Cheap way to improve hp