Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Check engine light.....got the code

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:33 PM
pcvfd12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Check engine light.....got the code

Hey guys I just ran by Autozone and had them run the codes on my '01 Blazer. The code was P0101. The tester didn't give any kind of a description for the code according to the guy that worked there. I thought I might check and see if anyone had seen this particular code before. If not I guess I can check with the dealership on Tuesday. Just to give you an idea of whats going on.......the engine hesitates when you first crank it up cold. After I drive it a few miles down the road everything is cool. My gas mileage is around 18-19 mpg right now. I've only had the blazer a few months now. I haven't done much of anything to it yet.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Check engine light.....got the code

P0101 - Mass Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem

I'd try removing and cleaning your mass air flow sensor. It is located in the intake ductwork between the air filter box and the throttle body. It'll have 2 aluminum ends bolted on either side of the sensor. You'll need a screwdriver to remove the sensor from the ductwork and an allen wrench to unbolt the sensor from the aluminum pieces. To clean the elements, use a sensor safe throttlebody cleaner or I believe that CRC makes a MAF sensor specific cleaner. Clean the aluminum halves as well as the screen in the front half. Then clean all interior pieces of the sensor itself. The little resistor-like elements in the sensor are what the sensor uses to determine the air flow. These should be a silvery white color when clean. BE VERY CAREFUL with these elements. If a wire gets broke, the sensor is ruined and at ~$250 for a new sensor, you don't want that to happen! Now, if you cannot get the sensors clean enough by just spraying them, you may have to use a q-tip soaked in your cleaning solution to get them the rest of the way. This is where extreme care must be taken to make sure that you don't break the wires. Once everything is clean and dry, put it all back together. I'm betting that once you clean your MAF, the hesitation will be gone.

18-19mpg is actually quite good for these vehicles.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:06 PM

Awesome!!! I was getting discouraged when trying to decide how to figure what was wrong since I didn't wanna pay a mechanic shop to check the code. I searched the forums and found where someone said to go to Autozone that they did it for FREE!!! I need to invest in something that will read these codes but I don't wanna spend a fortune....any ideas? I've got the '01 Blazer and my wife has a '02 Trailblazer. I don't know if they have different connections to check the codes or not. Thanks again for all the help!!!

Old 09-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad we could help! As far as a scanner, both your '01 Blazer and '02 Trailblazer are OBD2 vehicles. To purchase a scanner, atleast one of some worth that can detect manufacturer specific codes, would cost a pretty penny.

My scanner cost me over $400 and utilizes my laptop, but I can also access the ABS, Airbag, Powertrain, and any other subsystem on GM vehicles. I have tried some of the handheld scanners, as well as different computer based ones. I started out my computer based scanners with an Autotap scanner which was great, but only supported the powertrain system (no ABS, Airbag, or climate control systems). So I now have an AutoEnginuity scanner that can read any system in pretty much any GM vehicle. I have already saved more money in diagnostic fees from the dealership than the thing cost originally! At $75 a diagnosis, it doesn't take long. Only problem with both the Autotap & AutoEnginuity is that they require a laptop or Palm pilot to use.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:19 AM

My only problem with autoenginuity is that I don't have a laptop. According to the requirements for that program I could go purchase an old cheap laptop and the software and still come out pretty good but its like anything else I could think of a million other ways to spend the $$$ and justifying it to my wife requires way too much effort! LOL Thanks again for all the help and info.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:16 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kyle is correct you could spend lots of money on those systems but there are some decent handheld proprietary units that would save you money.

Eqous/Innova makes some decent units that are not real expensive and save money the first time you have a problem. They just recently released and inexpensive version that even reads the new version of OBD coming in 2008 on all new cars (just a faster version and more sensors). I found it at partsamerica.com or Advance/Schucks/Kragen Auto parts.

Actron also makes inexpensive versions for GM/Ford/Chrysler-Imports too.

And if you check the internet you can also find other sources for testing tools that run from $99 to $159 and the software included is free to use and internet updated.

So there are lots of options for you to check and tell the wife that it could keep you from spending money on needless repairs or from getting jerked around by a shop that has no clue...

Old 09-06-2006, 01:44 AM
airfakie68 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just used the ACTRON one tonight for the same code, P0101. I get it frequently and have the readouts stored on the handheld device. I think mine is getting set off because of the minimal clearance above the K&N FIPK. Under a hard load the engine twists just slightly to break the seal around the TB to Intake Kit connection. I think that is letting air in behind the MAF and setting off the code via the other electronics. Any ideas?

Running a ZR-2 S-Dime with:
K&N FIPK
Flowmaster Force 2 cat back exhaust
JBA shorty headers

Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 AM

Thanks for the info. guys

Old 09-06-2006, 11:45 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: pcvfd12

Thanks for the info. guys

If you replace your MAS, remove the screen.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Administrator

NOT SOUND ADVICE. Detroit, please do a search and you will see why.