Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Converting to a locker. . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:49 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default Converting to a locker. . .

So this question is actually about my silverado, but I figured you gear heads (especially the full-sizers) could help. I have a 1998 C1500 Chevy truck. 3.42 rear... Vortec V6. My problem is, everytime I pull off the pavement into some mud or a field to go fishing or whatever, that one wheel spinning about burries me. So I figure the best traction I can get out of a 2wd is with a locker or at least limited slip rear. So, what all does it take to convert the stock rear to a posi, locker, or limited slip? Where can I get the parts? Should I have it professionally done? all help is greatly appreciated...

Old 03-15-2007, 03:04 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Converting to a locker. . .

Try getting a 10 bolt Gm corp axle full floating

It comes with everything you are looking for factory set and it a lot more stout then the one you have now.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:06 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

so it might be a better idea to replace the whole axle??

Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

That should be an 8.5" 10 bolt, isn't it?
I know Auburn makes a limited slip locker for that size... Not sure on the price of it, though...

Flip a switch, and the diff is locked, when the switch is off, you have LSD/Posi... Best of both worlds, lol

I know there's probably other companies that make 'em, but Auburn was the first to pop into my head...

Though, a Powertrax locker is probably a lot easier to install...

From what I hear, the process is simple... just time consuming, might have to do some adjustment with shims and the like...

I'm waiting to see if they make one for my Blazer, lol

Old 03-17-2007, 01:02 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

They do make an independent axle that has that locker in it. Just don't recall right now which ones have it (years and types that interchange). Most of them are limited slip (one wheel wonders). I have to dig that information up again due to I want to do this mod for my 95.

As for the rear if its a solid axle housing, you can use close to about any full axle that has it. The 1500's that I have worked on are solid rear axles, not independent. So just about any GM axle that is the same width can be used. And the GM 10 bolt corperate full floatingaxles came factory with lockers in them (think they were Detroit lockers).I think the 89 1500 had them I would have to check.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:14 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: MNHawk

Most of them are limited slip (one wheel wonders).
Open diff is the one tire fire... limited slip is clutches and/or springs that work to make the wheels spin at the same speed, when there's a certain RPM of difference between the two wheels, which allows normal cornering to be open diffed, while hard acceleration will make both tires work, and whipping sideways around corners with your foot on that gas at 40 MPH makes it kick in for better control...

Old 03-17-2007, 12:08 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah,......uh MNHawk...you have just about everything screwy on this one dude. Like Drperry said an open diff is a "1 wheel wonder", a limited slip is a "posi", and a locker is an aftermarket device that physically (via electric, air, or cable...etc) locks the two drive axles together only allowing them to turn at the same speed. And a "full-floating" rear axle was NEVER used on a 1/2 ton G.M. pick-up. A full-floater is only for the HD pick-ups and you won't see one with less than 8 lug-nuts. These are the 14 bolt axles,not 10 and the axle itself bolts to the carrier (housing) they aren't held in with a c-clip like the 10-bolts. As for your question a_tack, just google GM 8.5 locker and I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for. It's not a terribly complex job, but if you don't knowEXACTLY how to set up a ring and pinion, you are better off leaving it to a professional.

Old 03-18-2007, 12:53 AM

thanks for the help..... I will probably leave it to a professional or completely swap the rear axle for a auto-locker off of a wrecked one or something.....

Old 03-18-2007, 04:00 AM
cheetah is an unknown quantity at this point

Check the sig...

"A limited slip is for limited off-raoding"

If your going to spend the money, get a good locker. It'll set you back a car payment, but you will be happy with it.

**Edit:**

Having soemone put one in for you will set you back 2 car payments, but you know it'll be done right. You just need a locker that replaces the carrier. Pull off the diff cover, tires, brakes and c-clips that hold the axles in the housing, pull the carrier and install locker. Re-assemble and cook at 350° for 20 min's, remove from oven and allow to cool for5 mins. Serves 2.

Ok, not sure where that came from, but it's a relatively process that I am looking at doing to my 91' Burb, "One Wheel Wonder".

Old 03-18-2007, 08:18 AM
BF Veteran

Actually, limited slip is more for racing than it is off-roading... Works wonders when drifting, lol

Quick Reply: Converting to a locker. . .