Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Converting to a locker. . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:37 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default RE: Converting to a locker. . .

its a 2wd i just dont wanna get stuck out in a field by a farm pond...lol and the truck is paid off so it wont set me back any payments...lol

Old 03-18-2007, 05:40 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Then yes, either go limited slip locker, or just plain locker, lol. I've heard good things about PowerTrax and Auburn....

Old 03-19-2007, 12:34 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

na just go welded live possi

wont be fun taking corners, but you will for sure have both wheels turning.

Possi traction (both wheels leave their marks)
Limited Slip (one wheel wonder mark maker)
Flinstone style (need new shoes yet?)

Old 03-19-2007, 05:31 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Limited Slip (one wheel wonder mark maker)
Nope.....a G80 differential is a "limited slip" or "posi" and believe me...they leave 2 strips of rubber on the road.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:05 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Posi and limited slip are pretty much the same thing... "Posi" is just Fords term for it...

An open diff is the one tire fire...

The G80 LSD, however crappy it might be, is still a limited slip, lol

Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 PM

The G80 itself isn't weak IMO, it's the ring and pinion in these trucks (and 3rd and 4th gen F-cars) that is weak.........The 8.5" G80 in my Caprice has been beat to death with 350+ horsepower and it never misses a beat.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:33 PM
BF Veteran

I didn't mean the construction itself... It's just not an aggressive enough unit for my tastes... lol
Plus, if what I remember is true... it doesn't kick in above 20mph...

Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM

True it's no auburn or detroit, but I have been very impressed by the one I built for mine...it came from a 1984 Delta 88...lol And you have been misinformed about the speed thing I have spun mine through a burnout wellover 5800 RPM's and it still smokes both 275mm wide tires.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:45 PM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe

True it's no auburn or detroit, but I have been very impressed by the one I built for mine...it came from a 1984 Delta 88...lol And you have been misinformed about the speed thing I have spun mine through a burnout wellover 5800 RPM's and it still smokes both 275mm wide tires.
That must be for the older G80 Locker from the first gens then...
I remember reading that on the Eaton website...

Old 03-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The G80 diff is different for the trucks than it is in the passenger cars is it not? The G80 for our trucks in particular is the Gov-Loc diff which acts as a posi unit but when power is delivered and one wheel starts to spin faster, a speed triggered latch will lock the axles together. This unit is more of a limited slip locker than it is a true limited slip. This latch inside is the weak point of the Gov-Loc diff.

This is my understanding of the diffs in our trucks... Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Converting to a locker. . .