Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Cool air intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Starting Member
DaddysBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cool air intake

I want to beef up my 98 blazer and some one sujested to me how about a ram air or a coolair intake and before I spend the money, I wanted to know what yall thought any feed back once-so-ever would be appreshated. Will my check engine light have to stay on,has anyone put either of these systems on there blazer let me know if you would thanks.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

Cold air intakes look really cool, but they don't really do anything for performance.
Infact, unless you make / buy a heat shield it will rob power.

IMHO, the best bang for your buck is gonna be a W4M tune, Raise shift points, improved fuel curve, eliminate the EGR, with a cold air kit this alone would make it a fun little truck.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Starting Member

Im not a complete Idoit when it comes to cars but the only thing i got, was remove the egr,I didnt even know you could do that. Anyway how much would you think this would cost. and is it going to make the SES light stay on. As you can tell you've got my full attention, I just think it would help push the big rims and that is what I am after here because my 96 has great pick up and I want my 98 to be the same. any parts I might need any more info on this would be great. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Beginning Member
MisterBrusso is on a distinguished road

only remove your EGR if you dont get emissions testing done for your inspection...and yes it will make your check engine light come on cause your air to fuel ratio will be thrown off a bit if you dont get it tuned right away....plus with the EGR unplugged you'll hear timing rattle at low RPM's...this is why i dont unplug in...and technically you lose HP doing it but gain MPG...to be fair the HP loss is so minimal you wont notice it

i worked for Chevrolet for years before my dealership i worked at closed so ive seen it done ALOT

Last edited by MisterBrusso; 08-09-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:11 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

When you say remove the EGR you mean just disconnect it and not take it completely out right? Removing it would cause a big vacuum leak so I'm assuming you ment disconnect it.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:22 AM
Beginning Member
MisterBrusso is on a distinguished road

yea i didnt even think to emphasize that...by removing i ment (and hope the other guy ment) puttin a EGR delete in or something along those grounds and not actually removing the EGR valve or anything

Old 08-09-2011, 03:32 AM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

Sorry guy's, should have been more clear about that EGR delete.
1996+ models, no need to remove anything, just have the PCM tuned to not turn it on, everything stays in place.

1995 models and earlier, you can find block off plates on Ebay, then remove the system and have the PCM tuned for it.

By making the EGR system inoperable, you will not be introducing exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber, which greatly reduces carbon build up, which we know robs power.

You can also turn off the torque management system, eliminate speed limiter, raise shift points for the trans, improve ignition, and fuel curves, and so on.

With the tune, no SES light.

A WFM tune runs about $200.
Give Jesse a call and tell him you're plans and what octane fuel you want to run, I'm pretty sure he does re-tunes for life also, so if you decide to turbo, super charge, or ad a cam, he'll do it for free.

Wait4Me Performance

Last edited by DySfUnCtIoNaL; 08-09-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Be forewarned that by deleting the EGR system, you are violating federal law and may not pass an emissions test without it. Also, unless the system is tuned to account for the higher cylinder temperatures with more fuel (exhaust gas recirculation actually cools the cylinders), you may develop chronic problems with your engine.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Starting Member

I appreciate all the input on this my freind! And also appreciate the warnings to Bossman. Im going to do something but when I do I let you know what I come up with Alright!