Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Electric Add-Ons

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road
Arrow Electric Add-Ons

i know the e-fan has been beaten into the ground. I know that light weight pulleys in and of themselves will not do any real good. Also I know most people that go electric, are not doing so on a daily driver, they are freeing up HP for racing and such...

Now all of that being said, i can get an e-fan (inside mounted puller style), and e-water pump (moroso sbc style) for free. If I team this up with an A/C delete:

#1 will this set up stand up to the test of simple daily driving? (assuming parts are good, install is done right, etc.)

#2 will this free up any noticable HP even if it's in the form of quicker response?

with this going in, i'll have to secure a GM AD244 high out put alt to fuel it all, and run a short belt to account for the removed components... what else am i missing?

Thoughts? Questions? Suggestions?

Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

A relay & thermostat for the fan. You may have to drill & tap a 3/8" hole in the waterjacket for the stat. or get an external one that you can wrap with insulative tape around the upper rad hose. I say upper hose because that will tell you the true temp of the engine. I had mine running when the engine was on for a long time, no harm. You'll notice the CAI throttle body sound a lot more too - it's cool! Also there won't be that annoyingly loud clutch fan when you rev it up.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Go for it. Guy at the mudtracks had a e-pump and 15" fan on his 4.3 tbi. He said it made a little bit of a difference. if anything a mpg or 2. I dont know about a daily driver though. It only takes a few min for a motor to get too hot...

Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any first hand experience with electric waterpumps, but often hear that they can be somewhat finicky. Many people stand by the reliability of a belt driven pump.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 PM
SgtArcher is on a distinguished road

Ok well Ive replaced the fan already with taures dual fan (works like a dream come true). Have the epump in place. But cant seem to find the right routing for a belt and size yet any body got a hint for me. Gen2 4.3 W/AC.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Just take some string,run it around the belt route on the pulleys,cut,then measure the string. then take a inch or 2 off and go to advance auto or somewhere with the measurement. If its 25 inches then the model number for the belt will be like ***25 etc. You will just have to play with it until you find a right belt. If you are a good distance from the store,buy 2 or 3 belts in that range and whatever you dont use return.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 AM
SgtArcher is on a distinguished road

Ya done that and all my routing keeps slipping at steering stop thought somebody highspeed found a way around the issue.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I don't have any first hand experience with electric waterpumps, but often hear that they can be somewhat finicky. Many people stand by the reliability of a belt driven pump.
this.
Would not trust an electric pump on a daily.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

If youre doing this because you want too and consider it fun, then by all means enjoy and play! Ive done unusual things just to see if it could be done.

But if youre trying to correct a problem im afraid you might be dissapointed in the reliability of the system. I cant imagine an electric water pump lasting over 100,000 miles like most belt driven pumps do.

Good luck and enjoy!