Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Electric Fans?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:42 PM
fuzzball447 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electric Fans?

1. Anyone have any experience with electric fans?
2.1 to 10 How difficult for install?
3. Any noticable horsepower?
4. Any problems with heat levels under the hood?
5. Is it a total voltage hog?

Old 04-14-2007, 05:21 AM
Default RE: Electric Fans?

Okay well even someone who is thinking of getting one? I really need some info! The guy at four wheel parts was telling me all this stuff about em' but I know its cuz hes trying to sell me something... Please?

Old 04-14-2007, 08:27 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Not sure on the difficulty of install, but you can do it fairly cheap by finding a ford taurus fan... I forget the year... but it's a 2 speed fan that moves air like a ****...

Needs some heavy duty relays though, draws a fair amount of power in high speed mode...

Old 04-14-2007, 04:30 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

If you can find the electric fan featured on the new Tahoes and Suburbans...
You may have to do some cutting to install but it is 16% more efficient at moving air. You could also find two fans from a new Polaris Ranger, if you can find one thats wrecked! Personally I would get a more efficient fan blade to replace the OE blade if you are serious about it.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:24 PM

More efficient fan blade? go on...

Old 05-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Starting Member
minijosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you talking about the flexible fan blades?

Old 05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Not flexible. A more efficient fan blade would be a fan with6 blades instead of 5 or 8 blades instead of 6 and so on. there are also more aerodynamicblades.There are alsofans with different angled blades. The electric fans also move more air at low RPMs than belt driven fans.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point

So basically an e-fan with lots of fins......

for the taurus fan would you need to modify any brackets or anything? Is it a direct fit? What are the pro's and cons of that over the OE fan?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The stock fan is quite efficient. Yes, it is driven by the engine, but it has a thermal clutch on it. Go out when your engine is completely cold and see how much resistance there is to turn the fan without the engine running. When cold, the fan is easy to spin with the engine off, and doesn't turn anywhere near as fast as the engine when the engine is running. When the temperatures rise, the fan will gradually engage to cool the radiator.

With an electric fan, you gain a bit of efficiency if it is thermostatically controlled. You lose a bit of efficiency from the fact that you are converting mechanical energy to electrical, and back again to mechanical (engine turns alternator, alternator powers the fan motor, fan motor turns the fan). If the fan is not thermostatically controlled (both high and low speeds), you really don't gain much of anything but space and a line item for your mod list. Ofcourse, if you wire it to a switch, you'll have the ability to completely turn it off manually which will free up some HP, but you won't want to do that for long stints...

My $0.02... Take from it what you will.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:50 PM

So basically another occasion where the engineers who designed the car actually knew what they where doing... crazy.

Quick Reply: Electric Fans?