Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:15 PM
bigblaze85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine swap

hey i am new to the forum and i bought an 88 s10 blazer 2.8 5 spd and i want to put a 350 in it and i just wanted to know if anyone on here that has done this before would be able to tell me the best way to go about it and some of the problems that i might run into. or maybe if they know where i can get some information on it. let me know. thanks.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: engine swap

Best bet is to grab the book from JagsthatRun.com

One thing that you will run up against is having to put in a different transmission. The 2.8L v6 is a 60* 'V' and has a different transmission bolt pattern than the 90* 'V' engines (4.3L, 5.7L, etc).

Old 03-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

There are 2 of us in the process right now. Mine was a 2.8 auto truck. Sticking with a 350 and 700r4.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:12 AM

thanks guys i appreciate it, i am gunna grab that book up for sure, i figured i would need a different tranny i am just not sure what one i am gunna use, i think i am gunna keep it 5 spd. well let me know how it goes and keep me posted on the problems you run into and let me know of any other info you get. thanks again.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

2wd or 4x4? Once you get the manual it will help a lot. There will still be problems but everyone uses different conversion parts so the problems maybe different.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 AM

its 2 wheel drive, i know that there is going to be problems either way, i just want to try and be prepared for some of the problems that other people have had.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:31 AM
bigjsp is an unknown quantity at this point

mounts and headers combinations can get very specific. Read the header manufacturers requirements before selecting which mount kit.

You may be own your own as most kits are designed for automatics not standards.

I did mine building my own mounts, rear tranny mount and adaptor piece from the clutch pedal to a tilton master cylinder and then used a quartemaster hydraulic throw out bearing with a Richmond / Doug Nash 5 speed,

I started with Hooker long tubes, they were a pain as they wrapped around the frame, then I hand Sanderson shorties and they were OK accept the passenger side floor board required alot of clearancing. Currently running factory manifolds and all wire heat shields of a 92 buick wagon with a corporate motor, NO leaks for 4 years, but this is more ofa tow vehicle motor than a high revver too.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 PM

would the tranny from my 2.8 fit on a 4.3 engine?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Bellhousing bolt pattern is different. The 2.8L is a 60* v6 while the 4.3L is a 90* v6. The 4.3L shares the bellhousing bolt pattern with the small blocks.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:16 PM

if i ordered the engine mounts and headers for the 350 swap would they fit on a 305, because i might be able to get my hands on a 305 for free.

Quick Reply: engine swap