Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Fuel Savers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Beginning Member
Heffty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Savers

Does anyone have any experience with these types of things? Some of the feedback these sellers are getting is pretty possitive. I own a 1999 Chev Blazer and was thinking of taking the plunge but I thought some of you more techy guys would have some good info for me. I don't want to waste my money no matter how cheap these things are.

Chevrolet Blazer Add Horsepower! Save on Gas!!
NEW!!

CHEVROLET BLAZER GAS SAVING FUEL SAVER - MODULE

*EDIT: swartlkk* fixed long links...

Old 02-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Starting Member
Jimmysls98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel Savers

ok the turny thing i am not sure about, but the fsm is a resistor that u put in the ait and it is supposed to tick the engine that you are puttin colder air in so it changed the air to fuel ratio. that does not work all it is is a transistor with paper clip like metal thngs

Old 02-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Both are worthless.

Lets start with the 'tornado' type insert into the intake tube. Not only is this a restriction to air flow, but the swirling air that it says increases combustion efficiency will never make it into the cylinder. In fact, the design of the Vortec engines already induces a vortex type mixing of the air & fuel.

The next item physically tells the PCM that the incoming air is much colder than it really is. While this may have an effect, it is only very temporary. The IAT (intake air temperature) sensor is not the only sensor used to modify the IPW (injector pulse width) to either lean out or richen up the air/fuel ratio. The PCM will quickly begin to ignore the IAT sensor value and modify the AFR to optimum. Now so may say, what if I just keep resetting the PCM by disconnecting the battery. Well, this will NOT save gas. While the PCM is relearning your driving styles and the characteristics of the engine necessary for optimum fuel mixture, it will be using a predetermined map which is safe, but not optimum.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:57 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

These new computers on these cars are so tricky and smart now heh. There is no way of beating them.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Beginning Member
Heffty is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, I won't waste my money on these. Are thereany gadgets that work? I just bought this uesd 99 blazer in december and I'm shocked how small a tank it has...and how fast it goes through it.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:36 PM
5.7Lblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 5.7L in my blazer and i has electric fuel pimp but is carburated and it swallows gas but i have a fuel regulator im putting on it which is gonna cut back on how much gas gets to the carb.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:02 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The best "fuel saver" is using the gas pedal less, lol.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:17 PM
JustBlaze! is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with drperry. I found that I can get up to an extra 10 miles from a full tank of gas by driving more "conservatively" - (e.g. no jack rabbit launches, letting off the gas and coasting to the exit on the highway, going under 10 miles above the speed limit instead of 20, etc.). Since I get around 18 - 20 MPG, that's about an extra half a gallon of gas. I know it takes the fun out of driving, but I tank up at least 6 times a month, so at $2.60 a gallon, that's easily $93.60 a year I'm saving. More money to go towards buying parts to keep the blazer running.