Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Gotta fix the heater core...anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Beginning Member
rdlyn is on a distinguished road
Cool Gotta fix the heater core...anything else?

Hi everybody,
I hope this isn't in the wrong place....sorry if it is.
So my '02 Blazer had the heater core go on it about a month ago. I had it bypassed for the time being while I figured out what my next move was (like pay $1500 to have it done vs. do it myself vs. just leave it the way it is).....so anyway I have the time (and i hope patience) to do this, and my delco replacement core came in today. She isn't my daily driver anymore either so I'm not in a rush.....but I know this is going to be an "experience"..
Anyway, I figure while I'm going to go and pull the whole dash out with the ultimate goal of getting it all back in again, I was wondering if there would be anything else that you more experienced owners out there know of that I'm likely to run into in the near future that I might also want to take care of while I'm in that area?? I'm already planning on replacing the ignition switch and adjusting or replacing the safety switch (had a few starting issues....actually non-starting issues would be more accurate but while they had proved to be due to loose wiring, I already had ordered the switches and at 125,000 mi I thought it'd be more of a preventative measure).
I haven't noticed any other real problems with the vehicle at all, but if there's ANYTHING you guys think I should check/replace please let me know. I'll probably be starting on the heater core in a week or two.
Also, I know this is going to sound dumb but I've had this set of JBA headers that I've been waiting for 6 months to put on. Is this the time?? or should I just hang it up with that many miles on the truck??
Thanks for your time!!

Old 05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech* - 2nd Gen Tech would seem to be more appropriate seeing as how this doesn't really deal with the engine.

There have been a few threads detailing the process with links to more indepth threads on other sites that others have found helpful. Suffice to say, you need to remove the entire dash and then remove the inside portion of the HVAC housing. It can seem like a daunting task.

As far as other things to check/replace... The temp door actuator (electronic actuator located on top of the HVAC housing) is a real pain to get out when the dash is all together. You may want to remove it and check the condition of the large gear inside. If it is cracked, replace it now.

And as I say to everyone looking to work on their own vehicle. The first investment I would recommend is either a factory service manual, a subscription to a service like AllDataDIY.com, or both.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Beginning Member
rdlyn is on a distinguished road

alldata = check. Although it seems like they have less info on service and repair than they used to though
factory service maual - bought it last week and can't wait for it to show up.
also have chilton's and haynes for what they're worth and a local chevy guy who is kind enough to answer a lot of questions about a car he seldom works on. But all of that aside i still think this site is the best. The how to-s here are fantastic and will tell you things that a alot of the other places I mentioned above will leave out. Just did the ignition switch this weekend in my '02 blazer and the how-to on that was just incredible.
Thank you so much for this site, being patient with newbies like me and staying on top of all things blazer, you guys rock!!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:23 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

You did good with the factory book. I have learned that they are pricey but worth every dime. Forget the others. Good example of Chiltons for a Nissan Altima distributor. "If it doesn't line up, remove it and take a long screwdriver and turn the oil pump slot". Er... the distributor is driven off the exhaust cam in this engine. I don't think you'll find blatant errors in your factory book like this but there will be a few, mainly typos. What I like about them is it tellls you everything about doing the job.