Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

how to remove "the governor"

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
jah19862003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to remove "the governor"

I own a 2000 blazer LT and it maxes out at around 98-99 mph is there any way to remove "the governor" so I can reach a faster top speed ??

Old 01-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: how to remove "the governor"

Why would ya wanna??? In a blazer no less

Old 01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree - I've hit the governor once, and I don't think it would be wise to go any faster. Governor is probably built into the ECU anyway - not a place where it's productive to start trying modifications.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont listen to them. Going fast is fun. I was going 155 in a 67 Camaro built to go fast(acctually just 400 hp 2.83 gears and I have no idea how the tires were). I have been fast in plenty of cars but I wouldnt go that fast in a Blazer, but the last person is right its built into the ECU. You could just buy one of those Hypertech programmers type things. Probaly around $300-400.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:08 PM
94Blaze is an unknown quantity at this point

you can buy my blazer, i have topped it out at 115 hahahaha

Old 01-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Rammer is an unknown quantity at this point

The speed limiter is in the PCM's programming. Most are set to 96-98 MPH. PCM editing software/hardware or a performance programmer will allow you to modify this limit.

Here is a screen shot of my HPTuners, showing the limiter on a 2003 S10 4X4. It's kinda hard to read, but the stock limit is 98 MPH.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ Let me add to this. ^^^

Before doing something like increasing the speed limiter in your vehicle, you MUST make sure that your vehicle is safe enough to sustain speeds in excess of the limit. Not only must your vehicle be in tip top shape mechanically, but your tires MUST be of a higher speed rating than the speed you want to be going. Also, your tires must be at the appropriate pressure. If the speed rating is too low or the pressure is too low or too high, this could result in tread seperation, which at high speed is something to be avoided at all costs.

As always, keep it on the track. Recklessly exceeding the speed limit on public roads, either close to empty or completely deserted) will only get you or someone else hurt or worse, dead.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Rammer is an unknown quantity at this point

AMEN to that, Kyle. These were NOT made to run at speeds higher than the limit or even near the limit, safely.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

That's right. Remember, this is a vehicle with a high center of gravity and significant wind resistance. It was not made to go more than 100 MPH, and doing so on public roads with this vehicle is unsafe for you and for others.

I'm not trying to be preachy, I'm pointing out that speeds over 100 are outside the design limits of this vehicle in stock form, and therefore unwise.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not saying going fast ain't fun. I had my 99 Camaro up around the 210km point once.(Built for it) The blazer on the other hand I had up to about 150km once. It Rattled and shook so much I ain't gonna do it again(for safety sake) Again I am all for goin fast if the vehicle i'm in is meant for it.

Quick Reply: how to remove "the governor"