Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Info about blazers. . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:00 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default Info about blazers. . .

So I have read somewhere that it was possible some year models to get the blazer with a H.O. 4.3L, an auto locking rear diff, and a limited slip front diff. without getting a ZR2. . . . . . once y'all tell me if you think this is true or not I will release where I read this info at...lol I'm not wanting people to fight over this and i'm not wanting harsh opinions. . . just let me know if you feel this was a possible custom order for like fleet or factory program vehicles or for general public. .

Old 03-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Starting Member
mudsliner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Info about blazers. . .

I have an HO and mine aint a ZR2. atleast that what i was told when i bought it. the guy i bought it off said when he got it new it had the 4.3 HO idont kno bout all the other stuff.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:17 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there was only one engine available in any blazer in 1997. At least that's what my brother said the dealer told him when he bought mine new, and here's a quote I found online:

ON THE ROAD - There's only one engine choice with Blazer, but it's a good one. The 4.3 liter V6 under the Blazer hood packs 190 horsepower and a whopping 250 lb-ft of torque. It gives excellent acceleration and throttle response, while its beefy torque figure allows for some impressive towing capabilities. It uses a durable "serpentine" belt to operate such ancillary mechanicals as the power steering and water pumps, and the alternator. The standard Blazer 4WD system uses what GM calls Insta-Trac mechanicals, a part-time 4WD system that can be shifted into and out of 4WD at speed from a floor-mounted lever. An electronic shift transfer case can be optionally added and makes selecting 4WD as easy as pushing a button. On two-door models only, a five-speed manual transmission is listed as an option and carries a price credit if chosen over the standard four-speed automatic.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:23 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

hmm... well mines an '01... and I have an RPO code in my glove box that translates to H.O. Vortec 4.3L.... but i dunno bout older ones like 97.. . . i think the H.O. is just rated at 200 h.p. but I aint sure...

Old 03-18-2007, 02:59 AM

IDK for sure, but I have been fixing these trucks since before yours was built, and I have never heard of an optional engine on any of these...I think all of the vortecs are considered "HO" just because they are Vortecs? here's another quote about a 2001:

All Blazers are powered by a 4.3-liter Vortec V6. This 90-degree V6 has a cast-iron block and head and overhead valves, and runs happily on 87 octane gasoline. Although redlined at 5600 rpm, it reaches its peak 190 horsepower at 4400 rpm. And, with a very useful 250 pound-feet of torque at 2800 rpm, there's little need to rev it into the red. GM's four-speed electronic automatic transmission is standard on four-door Blazers, although a five-speed manual transmission is available on the two-door models.
The four-wheel-drive Blazer LS comes with push-button Insta-Trac, which allows shift-on-the-fly between 2WD and 4WD. The more sophisticated Autotrac four-wheel-drive system is optional on the LS and standard on LT and TrailBlazer. Autotrac combines the best of full-time and part-time 4WD by adding an "Auto 4WD" button. In this mode, the transfer case remains in 2WD until wheel slip is detected. An electric servo then shifts the transfer case into 4WD until prop shaft speeds are equalized, and then returns it to 2WD. If multiple "slip events" are detected, the transfer case remains in 4WD for a longer time. Autotrac also has a transfer case neutral position for towing behind a recreational vehicle.
All Blazers use a short-/long-arm front suspension and a live axle on leaf springs at the rear (variable-rate, multi-leaf springs on TrailBlazer). 4x4 models are sprung by torsion bars up front, while 4x2's have coil springs. Last year's optional Smooth Ride Suspension is no longer offered, so most Blazers come with the Z85 Touring Suspension. Using firm de Carbon shock absorbers and stiffer spring rates, the Z85 package has a more controlled ride than the old Smooth Ride Suspension. The only suspension variations available in 2001 are the super-heavy-duty ZR2, and of course the street-performance Z87 suspension that comes exclusively with Blazer Xtreme. ZR2 substitutes stronger parts throughout the chassis, plus skid plates, a track bar for theposi rear axle, a 3.9-inch wider tread and stiffer springs with Bilstein gas-pressure shocks.
Aluminum wheels are standard on all Blazers, differing in design according to model. Four wheel disc brakes are standard, and the braking system was upgraded for the 2000 model year.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:11 AM

what site are you getting this stuff from.... its useful info, but it is a bit different that thins I have read from edmunds, cars.com, and even some motor trend stuff.... i'm not doubting your info, but is there a chance all of them were produced with these things standard and had optional upgrades? possibly upgrades only available to fleets for certain companies? i dunno, all I know is you can order some crazy crap on fleet vehicles...lol and my RPO codes dont match up to what these trucks are "supposed to have" I also have an RPO that translates to fleet vehicle...... im just trying to figure things out.. here is the 2001 GM Truck RPO Code list for all trucks/suv's.... http://www.gm-trucks.com/home/content/view/13/30/whats wierd is not many of my codes match up on the list? WTF? well like 1/2 of them are on there but the other half are MIA...lol I dunno... keep looking for stuff lastcoupe, maybe you can help me solve my mystery.. haha

now all we need is a van and a great dane.... we could be Mystery Inc. !!! HOORAY FOR THOSE MEDDLING KIDS!!!!

Old 03-18-2007, 03:57 AM
cheetah is an unknown quantity at this point

I went and pulled the build sheet for my 96 LT; it does not list as having a front limited-slip, but it does have a locker. And I wish I had, but don't, Auto 4x4 with the netural option.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:01 PM

a-tack...I was just looking on line for this stuff, but if you want your truck's specifics...I do have access to G.M's database lol. I can tell you EVERYTHING about your specific truck if you want...just PM me your last 8 digits of the VIN and you won't believe the stuff you will find out! I can even give you a complete claim history for all repairs/recalls done by dealers and when and where it was purchased litterally everything. And it will decode every option that you have...maybe even which fleet purchased it, most likely a rental car though.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:20 PM

that sounds great. . . i will try to do that in the next couple of days or so.... i am getting ready to go back down to school right now so I dont have time..... i have a feeling the crap ive been reading is just that,.... crap...lol yea.... Ill try to pm u the digits and my e-mail and u can e-mail me what u find.... thanks alot!

Old 03-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Starting Member
mudsliner is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know how you would tell if it had the HO or not all i know is that i was told mine had it. it might not i do not know. but i would like to know.

Quick Reply: Info about blazers. . .