Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

K&N Drop in filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Starting Member
one.shot.one.kill. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K&N Drop in filter?

What is a good place to buy one of these? I have looked at several sites and can't seem to find them. I have heard alot about people buying these air filters but I haven't actually heard alot about how well they perform. Could somebody that actually has experience or know about these let me know on how big of a difference they make on performance.

Thanks alot-

Old 12-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: K&N Drop in filter?

The oiled gauze filter will flow more air than a paper filter will. You aren't going to gain as much as if you had a true CAI. You can find a PN at Autozone.com, PartsAmerica.com, etc.

For your '96, your number is 33-2042. It's available via our newest sponsor SparkPlugs.com for $40. Also available at your local Advanced Autoparts for $41...

Old 12-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Starting Member
one.shot.one.kill. is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks alot.

=]

Old 12-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

I had one for a while. No discernable difference in performance. Then I thought about how much more grit I was letting into the motor along with the "more air" that passes through. You canNOT have more air without letting in more particulates.

I sold it on Ebay and went back to stock air filters.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:12 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

i have one in mine as well, no difference in performance.......its says on the box that the dirtier it gets, the better it filters. maybe its true, maybe its not......my Jimmy came with it and Ive never had a problem with it......how can you prove its letting in more grit? will my oil get darker faster or something????

Old 12-07-2006, 07:12 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

pilgrim, I saw a pretty convincing demonstration at the NSRA street rod nationals this year at the indoor product booths that proves otherwise........... they flow more because they are cotton not paper... they still trap the grit and dirt.....

Old 12-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

This response is NOT critical, just a look at my reasoning.

Maybe the K&N is great. Maybe. I still don't know how to overcome the logic that if you have the same surface area (and the K&N has much, much less than the paper filter with all its folds) and let more air through, you MUST be letting more fine particulates through. Also, I don't buy that cotton is inherently a better filtering medium than paper. Amsoil sells some very nice 2-layer foam filters that use oil treatments, and they also assert the superior qualities of their filters. Go figure.

If I saw side-by-side flow tests with a very fine secondary filter downstream of (a) a paper filter and (b) a K&N filter, and was able to compare the amount of debris collected on the secondary filter after 20 to 30 hours of operation (not just one or two),THAT would be convincing to me. If you saw such a test, please tell us about it. Otherwise it's sales talk we're believing.

I just worked it out this way: I keep cars an average of 10+ years. Even a small difference in the amount of fine particulates entering an engine can make a difference in wear over that time period and 100K miles of driving. Why take a chance?

Old 12-08-2006, 04:49 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

the test I saw was set up the way you are saying, but didnt last that long....

Old 12-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Starting Member
Loud_01_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i've never noticed any difference when using a k&n either...but yet, i still insist on having one in all my cars lol [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 12-09-2006, 01:56 AM

ive only noticed 1 mpg better on the highway.... but all of my driving to and from school is on U.S. 23 so it makes a difference...lol