Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

peformance ignition coil

Old 09-09-2008, 04:32 PM
gohan69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default peformance ignition coil

Hey guys just wondering if a msd or accel performance ignition coil would help out or give me any gains there about 40 bucks so i was just wondering?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: peformance ignition coil

The stock ignition coils are pretty hot to begin with. Well, on the 2nd gens anyway... What are you working on??

Old 09-10-2008, 07:10 AM
gohan69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my blazer is stock just wondering if it would help i was also thinking about doing a whole msd ignition setup does seem to bad for the price.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 AM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think swart was asking what gen, or year blazer you have.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looking back through his posts, he has a 2001. As I said, the 95+ coils are pretty darn hot stock. I know in the GM 3800S2 engines, the stock coil packs are hotter than the Accel and MSD replacements. No one has done the testing on these coils to see which is hotter, but I do know that GM stepped up to a hotter coil for the OBD2 engines.

Unless you go all the way to running an MSD control box, I do not see a need to replace something that is working. If you are having problems that you have attributed to your coil pack and want a flashy red one, by all means, get the MSD. If you want a flashy yellow one, I think Accel makes one.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:54 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

hahah flashy [8D]

Old 09-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

Installing a"hot" coil alone is a waste of money. The stock GM coil produces more than enough coil output voltage potentialfor a stockignitionsystem. Anaftermarket coil and a stock GM coil will produce the same output voltage unless you can redesign the ignition system to increasecoil saturation time.

The old point type ignition system had ways to increase coil output voltage and that is when a high capacity coil is necessary. For example, thedual point ignitionshad point sets that are are offseta few degreeson the point plate... one set opens thecircuit and the other set closes the circuit therefore giving the coil more saturation time (dwell) in the same30 degreesof of crank rotation as single points.I had a Mallory Rev-Poldistributor in my '56 Chevy which worked very wellwith 11:1 compression ratio andat 6500 RPM. Pontiac introduced the transistorizedignition system in 1963 and that systemwas far better than any of the dual point systems.The Mallory Rev-Pol distributor had dualcoils and dual external capacitors.The Rev-Pol dual points were operated by a 4-lobe distributor cam which increased coil saturation time and reduced point bounce at high RPM. With a point type ignition, coil output voltage is reduced becausecoil saturation time decreases as the RPM increases and that is when dual points will help maintain coil saturation time at high RPM.Today, one of the best replacements for a point type ignition is aPertronix electronic coversion kit. The Pertronix kit provides the same amount of coil saturation time at infinateRPM as it does at idleRPM. However, that kit is not as good as a stock GM high energy ignition found on cars today.The HEI systems on GM vehicles isnot necessaryfor high compression ratios or high RPM but it is requiredto fire the lean fuel-air mixtures that weremandated by the EPA to reduce emmissions.

Today, high compression ratios and high RPM is not an issue because of low octane - no lead pump gas.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 PM
hubbmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

I installed Jacob's Electronics Ultra Torquer Coil in my 1996 and got a lot of snap back, and it pretty much aleviated all my hesitation. The coil is about $100-$110 buck through Summit Racing though so it's gonna make a dent in your wallet. P.S. - that's with stock wires and NGK Iridium XI spark plugs.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

A month after I tuned up myenginewith a set ofAC Delco Rapid Fire#1 spark plugs, AC Delco ignition wire, NAPA cap and rotor,I decided to replacethe original18 year oldignition coil with a newGM 12498334 (AC Delco D503A) ignition coil. I wanted to see if it would make any difference. The new coilmadethe engine startsomewhatbetter but it was hardly worth the $50 I spent. In comparison, there was not muchwrong with the original factory coil.

Ignition coilswear out so slowly that a person cannot determinehow bad theywere until you replace them or test them electronically.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:08 PM
blazin8556 is an unknown quantity at this point

im glad i read this, i was thinking about putting a new performance coil on my truck but i see that it makes no sense. so if i need to replace it i will use stock, and paint it or something. the one mounted in my truck seems to be separateing or something, it wobbles just a hair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: peformance ignition coil