Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

peformance ignition coil

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Starting Member
greenjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: peformance ignition coil

so, when i do my ignition service, just leave the coil alone and just do the cap, rotor, wires, and spark plugs? i've heard that ac delco are the best for our truck. with that being said, does ac delco make any preformance version of the stock parts or would someone have to look else where.

the ac delco info came from my dad who has own many gm cars/trucks and said that the engines are desgin for the alone ac delco parts(spark plugs). can someone clear me up on this?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: peformance ignition coil

You cannot go wrong with AC Delco ignition parts. I like the Belden Premium wires from Napa though. Napa Echlin (sp?) line of ignition parts are not all that bad, but if you are getting the cap there, get the one with the brass terminals.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Beginning Member
BuckingBullMan is on a distinguished road

I put an MSD coil on my 95 4.3 vortec and it made a world of difference in the way it started and idled and burns a ton cleaner at the tail pipe also...........

Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You likely had a problem with your old coil then or you had the older ignition system.

Hopefully it stays working well for you. I have heard and experienced longevity problems with MSD direct fit coils in newer vehicles. My old 2001 Bonneville SSEi worked quite well with them for about 3 months and then one failed. Another 2 months later, and then the last one 4 months after that. I got free replacements each time, but I ended up selling them and going back to stock.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Beginning Member
blazeric is on a distinguished road

Should the coil wobble or should it be snug? Mine wobbles a lot! Could this cause firing issues? Just wandering!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Administrator

It should not wobble around and that could cause a problem...

Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BuckingBullMan
I put an MSD coil on my 95 4.3 vortec and it made a world of difference in the way it started and idled and burns a ton cleaner at the tail pipe also...........
Ditto - HUGE difference, esp. in MPG.

Then I put the 6AL box on it - Boooyah! Torque out the "A" double snakes!

Old 04-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

I run a MSD Streetfire Coil but mainly because the facotry one failed and honestly I do not see that much of a difference

Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Jmooney152 is on a distinguished road

If you run an aftermarket (hotter) coil, don't you need to open the plug gap? If so, do you run a risk of burning the tops of the pistons in a DD? Im not real familiar with whats inside these stock motors but, Id like to go to a 6AL set up.