Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Push Rod's ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Beginning Member
ShaneInsane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Push Rod's ??

Im just now putting all the push rods back in, and I am having trouble, The book says to have them Torqued Down to 45 well I did just that and the engine won't turn over at all ??? So should I just loosen em all up until the engine turns over or would it be fine to leave em like that, But I figure you would have to have the engine turn over in order for them to be correct..

Old 09-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Push Rod's ??

If you would be so kind as to let us know what it is you are working on here...

And you are torquing down the rocker arms? And to 45 ftlbs or inlbs or what? My references state to torque the rocker arms to 22 ftlbs. But overtorquing the rocker arms should not lock up the engine... These are not adjustable rockers, but net lash rockers...

Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Beginning Member
ShaneInsane is an unknown quantity at this point

oH im sorry, its a 2.8, 1986.. Well I put a lil oil in there and that allowed it to spin freely.. AND yes I am torquing down the Rocker Arms..

Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, that makes a big difference then. I think that these rockers are adjustable (do they have a seat under them?). If they are adjustable, then there isn't a torque value that you use. You roll the motor over until you are on the smaller profile of the cam with a particular valve, then you tighten down the rocker arm until the rocker arm hits the valve stem and stiffens up. Then its something like 1.5 turns down after that to set the proper hydraulic lifter preload.