Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Serp belt idler

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 07:56 PM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Serp belt idler

Hi all, I am new here, this is my first post.
I have a question about the serpentine belt idler pulley in my 99 Blazer.
I bought a new one from Advance Auto parts, and it comes without the bolt. The guy said re use the old one. If I recall correctly from when I changed the water pump last year, it seemed like the bolt was part of it. Unless there is a clip in there holding the bolt in.
Anyone know?
Thanks, Frank.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:38 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Serp belt idler

Are you trying to remove the bolt? I think you turn it clockwise to loosen it.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:55 AM

No, I am trying to make sure I got the correct pulley before I take it apart. The new pulley did not come with a bolt, I though the one on the car had a bolt attatched to it. I want to know if the bolt comes off of the old pulley to be reused.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the serp belt tensioner pulley, and serp idler pulley are both held in place with a bolt. Reuse the old bolt. Did you get the whole arm or just the pulley?

Old 03-27-2006, 05:56 PM

I just got the pulley. It is pretty worn.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:10 PM
smdepew1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

I need to replace my entire arm as i think the spring is weak....the arm moves around quite a bit and sounds like i got a cricket under the hood......anyone know of a good place to get one?

Old 03-28-2006, 05:48 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Most autoparts stores will sell you a new arm. Last time I priced one it was less then $20. I need to replace mine ont eh '87. It sits cockeyed and caused two ribs of the serp belt to disentigrate. The belt is a little narrower now, but it doesnt squell anymore.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:17 PM
smdepew1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

well see the part stores here in Germany just give me dirty looks when i ask for chevy parts......i guess cause the vettes are really the only chevy's sold over here....I did find one online it's 38 bucks however and i'm not sure if it's just the arm or the arm with the pulley on it....i need both......

Old 03-28-2006, 10:26 PM

That part is only $20? I should grab one of those too. I still haven't gotten around to the idler yet.

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Most autoparts stores will sell you a new arm. Last time I priced one it was less then $20. I need to replace mine ont eh '87. It sits cockeyed and caused two ribs of the serp belt to disentigrate. The belt is a little narrower now, but it doesnt squell anymore.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:17 PM
BF Veteran

For our German constituants, try Summit racing, Napa, or LMC Trucks for parts online. LMC will be the best bet.

Taht $20 was for a '87. The newer ones might cost more.

Quick Reply: Serp belt idler